Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Manual installation of maps into Tomtom Go 500
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Manual installation of maps into Tomtom Go 500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trh02
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Manual installation of maps into Tomtom Go 500 Reply with quote

I have had the above GPS for a good while now, and although I have updated the application (now 7.900) I have not updated the mapping - I have just the UK maps, which are version 605.

A friend had a similar unit stolen, and offered me his more recent UK maps if I wanted to use them (he has gone on to a Nuvi). I was somewhat surprised to see the map data arrive on a CD-ROM, which apparently was all my friend had left - he said it was just a backup, but should be usable.

Having not tried any map updates on my unit, I have to admit to almost total ignorance of the process. I tried TomTom Home - using the map update process there, but was unable to proceed because it merely offered me on-line maps for purchase, and gave me no option to access the map data on the CD-ROM. And this despite the "Add maps...." screen saying you can "Add a map you already own....."

I then tried to just copy the mapping data over from the CD-ROM to the memory card in the TomTom itself. Easy enough, but when I restarted the sat-nav, it just said "No maps found". So evidently it needs some kind of installation process where generic mapping data is tied in some way to the specific unit.

If I am right - what is this process? And can I do it without the aid of TomTom Home?

thanks

Richard

My question for you knowledgeable people is.......can I upgrade the map using TomTom Home? Or do I have to resort to some more mandraulic process.....copying files over from the CD-ROM to memory card? And if I do the latter, do I need to do any other tweaking
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your question is very similar to one that was posted just a few days ago, except that the maps were purchased by the owner for an older device he also owned and then wanted to put them on a newer device he now owns.

The problem is that TT have some form of security that only allows a map to be installed upon the device it was originally purchased for.

It seems many users have tried to persuade TT for a work around where everything is genuine and above board but without success, they obviously want to protect themselves from piracy and devaluation of the product e.g. maps.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, as above.
The maps are 'locked' to the particular device they were bought with/for.

It's an anti piracy measure. No point asking TT as they won't oblige.
trh02
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right - many thanks EricWB and 253 for letting me know the situation. I didn't pay for the data, so no great loss here.

Richard
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your 500 is doing everything you want except having the latest maps have you considered the map update service? This is a 1 year subscription that gets you up to date, then every new map issued in the next 12 months. Price will depend upon what maps you already have and maybe how out of date they are?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: