Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Recommended distances for cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommended distances for cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ant09
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Recommended distances for cameras Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anyone can recommend distance for the various speed camera warnings ?

Cheers Ant.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ant, and welcome to the Forums.

I expect some of the more advance users will give you a better answer than mine.

From my knowledge the mobile cameras have quite a long range capability these days - in excess of 1000yds apparently. Now whether they are set at those distances s another matter as there is going to be a lot of traffic on the busier roads.

For me, I work on the principle that the faster the road speed, the longer the warning distance. So for the 60/70 mobiles I'm set at 950yds, and 50 set at 850yds.
The fixed Gatso and red light are set at between 400 and 500, as are the Specs - you get plenty of warning of road works to my mind.

I don't have the option 'Warn only when on route' ticked, so depending on the settings I do get a lot of warnings that don't apply so to speak, but a small price to pay, and I can't be bothered to change it to be honest.

If you are like me, you'll probably change the settings a few times before you are happy with them, and also may depend on what type of driving you mostly do anyway.

Good Luck
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, there is a look up table towards the end of This setup guide.
Otherwise an easier way is to multiply the camera speed by ten and use that distance, so 30MPH = 300 YDS and 70MPH would be 700YDS - Mike
davidsims
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I download the database last week and I would be very careful about following the advice in the setup guide.

Most mobile cameras are lasers and I have seen the videos where a conviction was obtained at 860m in a 60mph limit.

Given that you need a little warning I would set all the mobile camera in the higher speed limits to at least 1000m
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidsims wrote:
I download the database last week and I would be very careful about following the advice in the setup guide.

Most mobile cameras are lasers and I have seen the videos where a conviction was obtained at 860m in a 60mph limit.

Given that you need a little warning I would set all the mobile camera in the higher speed limits to at least 1000m

Fair comment, the distances are just a 'guide' but I have now added a second table with suggested settings specific to Mobile cameras.
davidsims
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
The fixed Gatso and red light are set at between 400 and 500, as are the Specs - you get plenty of warning of road works to my mind.

IMHO you do not neccessarily need a lot of warning for SPECS cameras. A specs camera does not 'catch' you speeding, it's the second and subsequent ones that you have to be wary about. It seems to me that in a specs zone, the best policy is to keep within the speed limit and then you don't have to worry about your average speed between the cams. It will be at, or below the limit. So unless you are going to excede the limit between the first and second, then slow right down before the second to reduce your average speed, what's the point.

It would however be realy useful to know when you are out of a specs zone so that you don't have to inspect the speedo so often.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SPECS entries in the database are logged (as much as possible) as "start" "intermediate" and "end" cameras, but not many devices can use the info.
On a TomTom, you COULD set up a separate POI category for the "end" cameras, but with the way the TomTom's work at the moment, you would get false "end" alerts every time you went past a sliproad exit even if you were continuing in the zone on the main road.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: