Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Interpreting the GPS Status screen
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Interpreting the GPS Status screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zebb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Interpreting the GPS Status screen Reply with quote

Is there an FAQ for this, otherwise (I did a forum search);

14 bars- one per satellite? Max of 14 satellites?
Blue bar equals valid signal? Grey bar = too weak?
Little numbers at the bottom of bars, some in a blue circle? Signal strength? but what actual measurement are they in? mV? Maximum number?
Line across all 14 bars?

N E S W icon, two concentric cirles, closest dots to the centre are overhead, near the edge are near the horizon?

Any clues or any other info.

TIA, Zebb.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got it more or less right.

It's only meant to give you a rough idea of what's going on.

There will be a 'calibration' for the scale of the signal strength - but it will vary from manuf. to manuf. (and probably from model to model).

The usual things to look for are:-

Hollow bars mean it is 'seeing' the satellite but has not yet established its positional data (almanac/ephemeris) - so it is not being used to calculate a fix.

SOLID bars mean that it has all the data required and it is using the info for a calulation of your position.

You will see (at max) 12 satellites plus one or two possible WAAS/EGNOS 'differential fix' satellites. There are more up there than this. 24 in the active constellation of GPS stas plus a number of 'spares' along with several WAAS/EGNOS geo-stationary sats that allow enabled receivers (i.e. most modern ones) to get a slightly more precise fix. These are quite good at equatorial latitudes but become more difficult to receive the further N or S you are. Here in North UK they are virtually useless when you are out in the hills. Even in flat Cheshire (where I live) I don't get a fix with them on most days.

In a perfect world what you would want to see are 12 sats nicely spaced over the display, which is as you say, what it can see in the sky above you. Factors like buildings, hills etc will block out some of the lower ones and have an effect on the accuracy of the fix.

In reasonably open terrain you should be able to 'see' 9 - 10 sats. Anything over 6 well 'dispersed' sats will give you a pretty good fix.

Also remember:- most car sat navs use software to lock the received position onto the road (they assume you can't be off the road).
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the Topic here for some more info.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Zebb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks for that info. The highest number in the bars I've seen is 51, (~represents the signal to noise ratio from the other topic). They could have shown all three lat/long readouts at once on that screen, there's enough space.

I wonder how long each satellite stays in view? The numbers in the blue dots must be a code for a particular satellite but I can't find out what the code is online.

Wikipedia doesn't even list it and that's very technical.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS

Pity it doesn't show altitude, I've tried a couple of other programs but I can't seem to get them to work on my One XL.

Regards, Zebb.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebb wrote:
The numbers in the blue dots must be a code for a particular satellite but I can't find out what the code is online.

Have a look at This Page for information on the PRN Number and a whole lot more information on the subject, as for altitude, GPS isn't that accurate although it can give you an idea - I certainly wouldn't trust it if flying!
Time in view for a specific bird will depend upon the orbit profile relative to your location, some could be minutes others could be well over an hour - Mike - Mike
Zebb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I wouldn't use it for flying but on holiday, the names of towns have the height above sea level on them. My body doesn't do so well above 6000 feet these days and I'm curious to see the altitude. Not that I could do anything about it, all around would be of similar altitude.

Very interesting info, it's a long time since I did all this radio theory.
---
Hope you enjoy your new toy Mike, it's been a long time coming.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebb wrote:
Ah, thanks for that info. The highest number in the bars I've seen is 51, (~represents the signal to noise ratio from the other topic). They could have shown all three lat/long readouts at once on that screen, there's enough space.

I wonder how long each satellite stays in view? The numbers in the blue dots must be a code for a particular satellite but I can't find out what the code is online.

What "All Three lat/long readouts" are you referring to here?

Sats are in view for half a sideral day (just less than 12 hours) which means the satellite constellation is changing all the time. A particular satellite will be in the same position "above" you about 4 mins earlier each day.

For more reading try this site for starters.

Most car sat nav systems don't bother with calculating the altitude. You don't need it as you are usually 0 feet above the road Laughing and GPS altitude is notoriously inaccurate. As Mike says - I wouldn't trust one for flying.
Zebb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What "All Three lat/long readouts" are you referring to here?

Under the configure button, you can have a choice of three readouts, there's space for all three to be shown on that screen. d.d / d.m.m / d.m.s

The altitude would be of use to me and should be of high accuracy. Most of the handheld GPS units show it, including the mobile phones that have GPS. Again, my use is not for flying. +/- 15m would be fine for me.

I read that there is a 32nd satellite that might be responsible for some of the location errors reported on some GPS forums.

Thanks for the link, I'll keep reading and eventually it'll sink in.

Zebb
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what you mean about the three formats.

+/- 15m would be a dream for altitude accuracy with a GPS - the problem is it's more like +/- 50m a lot of the time and I've seen it over 100m out more than once. My Colorado GPS shows altitude using two methods. GPS derived and barometric pressure derived. Assuming I calibrate the barometric unit correctly before each outing it is far more accurate than the GPS derived value (according to OS mapping).

If you really want to know the altitude buy one of the relatively cheap watches that have a barometric unit in them. If you calibrate it daily (or at least before every outing - usually a 1-2mins job) it will give you more accurate results than GPS.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebb wrote:

I read that there is a 32nd satellite that might be responsible for some of the location errors reported on some GPS forums.

Any more details?
From previous posts of mine you can see I have quite an interest in this, as I'm affected badly by mysterious location errors.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was something I did wonder about when the 32nd was switched live as the date did occur within a couple of days of the reports of miss position being reported by quite a few users. But its been live quite some time now and miss position on screen with the TomTom devices has been random in terms of area and date for a while so i doubt the two are connected.
Most probable is duff Quick GPS fix data downloaded to the device.

It has been reported some very early GPS based devices cannot use the 32nd bird due to the way the numbers were allocated 00 to 31 or 01 to 32 but this didn't affect the TomTom devices AFAIK - Mike
Zebb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Any more details?
From previous posts of mine you can see I have quite an interest in this, as I'm affected badly by mysterious location errors.

Only the report on the Wiki page.

"Some reports in 2008 indicated that the 32nd satellite was causing difficulties for some GPS receivers.[18]"
http://sci.tech-archive.net/Archive/sci.geo.satellite-nav/2008-03/msg00165.html

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: