Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HAND HELD DEVICE SUITABLE FOR FELL WALK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HAND HELD DEVICE SUITABLE FOR FELL WALK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIKESOK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: HAND HELD DEVICE SUITABLE FOR FELL WALK Reply with quote

Hi all,

Can someone please advise what is the best product to buy as a handheld device suitable for navigating when walking out in the open countryside.

I have read some reviews on SatMap and Garmin but all seem to have a few issues, such as having to re-boot, battery life, GPS fix times, etc.

I was wondering for example if my Tom Tom 920 T can be converted to utilise Ordnance Survey maps 1:25000 but cannot find anything on the internet to support that idea. Are Tom Tom units strictly for the road?

Failing not being able to use my Tom Tom, the best solution I have come across is to use my Dell handheld PDA and an OS Explorer map by Multi -Map.

Your help and pointers would be much appreciated, am planning a walk up Kinderscout in November weather permitting and would like a backup device if needed.

What do you Guys use for walking? maybe a good old fashioned map and compass? Question Question
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what level of functionality you need? If you want full colour OS mapping then Satmap Active 10. Most of the issues have been ironed out and it's a very good device.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have a PDA have a look at MemoryMap or try the free demo of Quo to make sure it works with your hardware prior to purchase. Either of these will offer the OS style maps on screen with your present position, trail and route as well when coupled up to a GPS receiver.
To keep the device safe from the rain, sleet, snow and the odd fall put it in to an Otter Box which offers a degree of protection.

Click the following links for further information, Memory Map, Quo, Otter

I never set off on a walk with just GPS equipment, the traditional map/ compass is vital as even the best technology can fail and it will generally do this on a bad day when the conditions are poor. I have used the PDA and topo mapping for a number of years but last year I purchased the SatMap active10, which I have to say is simply great, being a device designed for the outdoors it is easy to use and compared to the PDA it is in a totally different class. The battery life using the rechargeable pack is great as it will last for more than a singles day walking, even if you have it on all the time. - Mike
MIKESOK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys for you very informative replies.

I have spent the evening looking at both Memory Map and Quo.

I am assuming that with MM for example you can plan a route and add that to your PDA , is that correct?

Quo on the other hand not so sure if it provides that function.

What I want is to be able to look an OS map on my PC at home, plot a route, send it to my PC, send it to my PDA a Dell Axim plus Sirf GPS unit, and have the PDA advise me of the correct route in order to maintain track.

Does the SatMap Active 10 provide that functionality?

Does the SatMap Active 10 interface with a PC to allow you to plan a route etc or is it a complete stand alone solution.?

From what I have seen on the MM site and correct me if I am wrong here a PDA and MM solution might not give that entirely but just show where you are and where you have been.

Question
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can plan routes on the PC using Memory Map or Quo, the maps and routes will then show on your PDA once transfered to the portable device. On the PDA you will see you route and a trail depicting where you have been, with MM software you can also show other information such as distance to go to next way point etc.
The SatMap active10 can also show route/ trails etc but it cannot currently offer route planning on the PC, this will be available soon though. All I do is use Memory Map or This Web Page to plan routes and transfer them to the device using the sofware that is supplied with the device - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: