Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Searching for Campanile (French) Motels/Hotels
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Searching for Campanile (French) Motels/Hotels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Searching for Campanile (French) Motels/Hotels Reply with quote

I previously had the full list of Campanile Motel POIs on my ViaMichelin but have got rid of it as I reverted back to my Navman Crying or Very sad Now I am trying to find a site from which to download the full list again. I have tried the PGPSW list but even though I specify France, all I get is about 20 UK locations/.

Could anyone steer me to a suitable site from which I can get these POIs - I used to have a good site but cannot now find it.

Help would be appreciated.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked at the contents, but is this page of any use to you? Quite a few hotel chains are providing this service now.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for Campanile (French) Motels/Hotels Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
I have tried the PGPSW list but even though I specify France, all I get is about 20 UK locations/.
There is currently only one listed in France.

If you select another country on the POI Download Page, without de-selecting the UK, you will get both countries POIs merged. Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for Campanile (French) Motels/Hotels Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
I previously had the full list of Campanile Motel POIs on my ViaMichelin but have got rid of it as I reverted back to my Navman Crying or Very sad Now I am trying to find a site from which to download the full list again. I have tried the PGPSW list but even though I specify France, all I get is about 20 UK locations/.
That is odd! Are you remembering to Click Refresh? However, when I do, I get a list containing only Saint Quentin-en-Yves...

Gee-Pee wrote:
Could anyone steer me to a suitable site from which I can get these POIs - I used to have a good site but cannot now find it.

A would reveal this thread, but Darren & Mullet were unimpressed by the accuracy. (This may lead to the same link as provided by Tim.)
There is a thread here, to which UsuallyLost (I presume from this Forum) has posted the UK locations and corrections. It is a European list, but the UK ones are marked with GB, the Polish with PL, etc. The French ones are prefixed with the Department, so if you know where you are going, that should make them easy to search for. (There is a list here.) If you visit any of them, can you record the locations and submit them to improve the PGPSW list?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
I haven't looked at the contents, but is this page of any use to you? Quite a few hotel chains are providing this service now.

Thanks Tim for that link, I have also found the original web site here http://www.poihandler.com/

I note also the links kindly provided by others, above. Thanks all.

As the Campanile site list of POIs would appear not to be copyright, then perhaps that could be added to pgpsw list to make it fully comprehensive?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for Campanile (French) Motels/Hotels Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Gee-Pee wrote:
I have tried the PGPSW list but even though I specify France, all I get is about 20 UK locations/.
There is currently only one listed in France.

If you select another country on the POI Download Page, without de-selecting the UK, you will get both countries POIs merged. Wink

Hi Richard and thanks for the contribution.

Tim's link contains all of the Campanile chain - could that be used to update the pgpsw list?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Response from Campanile Group on accuracy of data Reply with quote

Quote:
A would reveal this thread, but Darren & Mullet were unimpressed by the accuracy. (This may lead to the same link as provided by Tim.)

Did you ever get a response from the request to use this data - Darren and or Mullet Question
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is a thread here, to which UsuallyLost (I presume from this Forum) has posted the UK locations and corrections. It is a European list, but the UK ones are marked with GB, the Polish with PL, etc. The French ones are prefixed with the Department, so if you know where you are going, that should make them easy to search for. (There is a list here.) If you visit any of them, can you record the locations and submit them to improve the PGPSW list?

Your comments and links led me to have a look at some of the data from some of the sources I have found/used.
Earlier this year, I used three Campanile hotels - two in Metz and one in Strasbourg.

I checked (Using Google Earth) the co-ordinates from the Campanile website with the following results:
Metz Nord - Woippy would have taken me the the middle of a roundabout some 2/300 meters from the Hotel. Stop!
Metz Est - this one would have taken me to the middle of a straight road with no buildings on it at all - about 125 meters from the Hotel Stop!
Strasbourg Sud - this one was quite close. The co-ordinates would have at least taken me to the middle of a dual carriageway outside the hotel, so I would have seen it. Thumbs Up

Now, using POI Handler, which is now installed on my Navman, the results were :-
Metz Nord - spot on Thumbs Up
Metz Est - spot on Thumbs Up
Strasbourg Sud - Well here I would have seen the hotel from the middle of the river behind the hotel. Stop!

So the locations in this small sample are as good as the accuracy of the person/s submitting them.

So the conclusion is, double check where you are going and do not rely of 3rd party accuracy of POIs...

PS I also checked the same locations on the list of 'Usually Lost'
His coordinates agree with those of POI Handler and the one for Strasbourg will also get you wet !
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
So the conclusion is, double check where you are going and do not rely of 3rd party accuracy of POIs...
The same advice would apply to the PGPSW POIs, although our accuracy is getting better everyday. Smile

Personal knowledge of a location will always be preferred, especially when the Car Access can sometimes be remote from the final destination.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: