Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT720 backup from Windows Explorer
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT720 backup from Windows Explorer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: TT720 backup from Windows Explorer Reply with quote

I was offered new Western & Cen Europe map via TT Home; I had this particular map on my SD card, so assume Home(8.3) would know it should go, not on TT hard drive.

However, to install it said I needed to remove data, and only candidiate offered was W Europe map; so wrongly I now see, deleted that via selecting that & ticking.

Prior to this had backed up both via TT Home, and Win XP as explained on this forum. (Remembered to show hidden files).

Now to try & get back to where I was, I copied my PC back up copy of the TT files and pasted(tried!) on to the TT drive showing on my PC; however, all I see is that destination drive is full! Twisted Evil

Should I therefore first delete all the data showing on my TT drive to free space?; I assume when viewing via my PC this is showing all data both on TT's hard drive & it's SD card?
Thanks for assistance. Wink
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have the full backup I would format the device to wipe it clear of anything, remove the SD card to avoid confusing what is going where.

Copy/ Paste the backup to the device then switch it on and see which version of software is running on the device, if it isn't 8,3 you will have to connect it to the PC and use Home to update it to the 8,3 release. - Mike
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Getting back to normality!! Reply with quote

Mike thanks; Wink

So I remove SD card, and just delete everything via Explorer that shows, inc hidden files on TT hard drive?

Do I need to wipe SD card too, as presumably when pasting stuff back it will have same capacity Issue?

Yes am on 8.3.
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem when trying to install the latest map, 815.2003. I got a message saying destination drive full. I disconnected my TT from the PC, switched on and it told me that I had no maps present.
I reconnected to the PC, decided to empty the TT and replace it with my previous backup (V8.3 Map810). It still came up half way through "destination drive full". I formatted the TT but still could not replace my backup.
In desperation, I let HOME run a restore, which worked. I have now fitted a 2Gb card and got the latest version of operating system and latest map. I was unable to use my backup copy of MapSettings.cfg as it crashed the unit.
I have not loaded any POI's apart from our cameras yet, as I am waiting to see the outcome of the voice fiasco. Confused

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Map update Reply with quote

Tom glad to see I'm not only one;
Did try TT Restore but that's no go too; "Some volumes
eg a Storage card) are not present".
It is!

Did you just select all, DELETE or right click & use FORMAT?
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a right click, Properties/ Format/ Quick Format

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: TT720 backup from Windows Explorer Reply with quote

peasemore wrote:

I assume when viewing via my PC this is showing all data both on TT's hard drive & it's SD card?

Windows should show the TomTom's internal memory and the SD card as two COMPLETELY SEPARATE disk drives.

Also, when you start up Home, the first thing you should see is a pager asking you to choose one or the other storage places. From that moment on, it will only deal with maps in that place.

So if you had left everything alone on the internal memory, you should be able to tell Home to install the new map to an SD card.

I would get everything back as it was, by deleting the contents of the internal memory (no format required) and simply paste back the contents of the backup you made. Then start again, by deciding whether you have room to fit the new map on the internal memory if you delete the old map and maybe an unused voice or two. If not, just install the new map onto the card.
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Up & running Reply with quote

Tks all; managed to copy across my Windows b/up.

Andy, thanks for that; should have looked closer; seeing the TT
icon hadn't looked beneath!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: