Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New and Confused - Difference in Models - Garmin vs TOMTOM
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New and Confused - Difference in Models - Garmin vs TOMTOM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: New and Confused - Difference in Models - Garmin vs TOMTOM Reply with quote

Have been reading all your updates and everytime I seem to narrow my choice down between Garmins or TT's then something is said to alter my perspective.

I need a GPS that will navigate me through the UK and through Europe. I would like a reliable system that does not go into 'lost satellite connection' just at a critical turning point or switches off as battery is low.

Please may someone guide me into a choice of models that would suit the following please:
For Car navigation (navigate with ease);
Maps of Europe including UK;
Speech recognition;
Sensitive to routes in tunnels/car ferries/train routes;
Hands free calling;
Avoid Traffic Tie-ups;
Plan ahead

If any of the above features tick certain models please would you kindly suggest the models.

May someone also tell me what's the difference between every single model out there (Garmin/TomTom & Car navigation related).

Thanking you in advance!
N
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New and Confused - Difference in Models - Garmin vs TOMT Reply with quote

I will have a go at answering for the TomTom range, I am sure someone from the Garmin camp will do similar.

n16 wrote:
For Car navigation (navigate with ease);
Any device in the product range

n16 wrote:
Maps of Europe including UK;
One Third Edition Europe, XL Europe, 720, 920, 730, 930, 740, 940, bear in mind the latter two models are not yet available for sale, but they have been announced - no idea when they will hit the shops though.

n16 wrote:
Speech recognition;
520, 720, 920, 530, 730, 930, 540, 740, 940 - Again the x40 units are not yet available.

n16 wrote:
Sensitive to routes in tunnels/car ferries/train routes;
Only the 920, 930 and (I think) 940 have accelerometers to aid the navigation device while underground devoid of the GPS signal, car ferry routes are known to the range, but I don't think any train routes are viable with the exception of the channel tunnel.

n16 wrote:
Hands free calling;
A rather mute point (please excuse the pun) as lots of users have complained about problems when using this feature, but the 520, 720, 920, 530, 730, 930, 540, 740 and 940 all offer hands free and the ability to read out text messages if using a compatible phone.

n16 wrote:
Avoid Traffic Tie-ups;
All the current models within the TomTom product range support connectivity for the RDS-TMC Traffic receiver, this accessory can be bought separately or with the device. The part number has a letter T after it denoting the inclusion of the receiver.
The Go devices x20, x30 allow connection to the TomTom server via your phones GPRS connection for a better service (less issues with signal availability when compared to RDS-TMC), this does require a subscription to use though.
The x40 units use a built in GPRS modem to receive traffic information, again this is subscription based from the limited information made available to date.
n16 wrote:
Plan ahead
You have the options to use AtoB (Advanced planning) to do this for a single destination or you can use Itinerary to plan a multi stop trip which can be saved to the device for use later on.

n16 wrote:
If any of the above features tick certain models please would you kindly suggest the models.
I have tried to list the model numbers that meet the individual questions in the order you asked them.

n16 wrote:
May someone also tell me what's the difference between every single model out there (Garmin/TomTom & Car navigation related).
A very difficult one to answer, as very few users will have access to multiple devices from multiple manufacturers.
Try to work out which features are most important and select various models from the list above then go to your local Halfords or similar to try the devices first hand. Only you will know which model/ make works best for yourself, pay little attention to the sales person in the store though as they are often very biased towards a specific model range - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: