Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI - Suggestion????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI - Suggestion????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterSm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: POI - Suggestion???? Reply with quote

Hiya,

Firstly many thanks for making such an excellent collections of POI's available to the good and the great...its much appreciated...and long may it continue to be an excellent resource..

I have a quick question/suggestion though and not sure if its workable/do-able or not???

I tend to download the full set of POI's (Garmin 250W) and then have written batch files to filter out those I want to load to the Sat Nav. (400_ different sets)

I've noticed though that if you use the Seperate files you get the individual items that I want but the data content doesnt mention the Category name (if you see what I mean) whereas the Combined one does..but its all in a grouped spreadsheet containing POIs I don't want/need..

i.e. Single for say Morrissons SuperMarket

-1234,51.5555,Watford,015453537

whereas the combined one inside the SuperMarkets.csv lists it as

-1234,51.5555,Morrissons Watford,015453537

This second version displays much better on the Garmin when your looking for something...

Is there a way then to get all the individual Seperate files but in the Combined file layout ???

TIA
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is done like that deliberately, as most people wouldn't want to open a POI category called "Morrissons" only to find most of the visible part of every item's name to be "Morrissons" too.

I can think of one workround, although it would be a bit of work...

Download as combined files, so you get the names you want at the front of each entry, then:
1. open the combined file in POIEdit,
2. sort the list alphabetically by clicking on the "name" heading, so all the "Morrisons" group together
3. delete everything that isn't "Morrissons"
4. save the remaining entries as a new POI file "Morrissons"
5. Open up the original file again and repeat with the next set of names.

Could be very long-winded if you've got a lot to do though.
Maybe someone else can think of an easier way.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the garmin you can do a search among multiple categories/files. eg 'find near destination', in this instance, would just give lots of pois called 'bradford' with no indication of what they are...

unless you specifically want to search for, say, morrisons when you obviously know what pois you are viewing! if you just wantto see what there is around you then it doesn't work so well on the garmins

MaFt
PeterSm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks.....

MaFt.Its as you say I use the nearest and just see lists of Watford, whereas it would be nice to see Morrisons, Watford, Safeway, Watford etc which I can if I use the grouped POI list but that shows others I'd never visit!!..

Maybe I didnt use a good example..

For instance i'm going to Keswick soon, so set the POi to search for another city, Keswick , then say near and banks...I get a list of 5 lines per screen all saying Keswick ...when it would be great to see Nat West Keswick , LLoyds Keswick , HSBC Keswick etc.. without having to also see Nationwide, Keswick etc

Anyway Thanks for the suggestions and advice...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth taking that look at POI Edit...
With a combination of choosing the right download and then some creative merging/renaming of entries, you can usually create what you want.
I do something similar with DIY shops where I use the basic PGPSW downloads and create my own category with just B&Q, Homebase, Wickes and also Halfords. All of those come up for me with the store name first on screen.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: