Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Getting Started with Go 520
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting Started with Go 520

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pacemaker1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Getting Started with Go 520 Reply with quote

hi all
long time member but first time with a tomtom
been reading these pages and settled on the tomtom for its upgradeability
expecting del tommorrow of a new 520 and as i am a bit of a fiddler i dont want to get off on the wrong foot so i could do wilth some advice on the following
backing up from new in case i mess it up
updates i should get to bring it up to date( says comes with map and camera updates till june 2009)
what apps to install( movie player/ add ons etc)
any other advice

thanks in advance guys
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing to do is read ALL of the FAQs in THIS TOPIC
That should get the backup sorted out as well as a few other essentials.

Updates.... I'm very surprised it says "comes with map and camera updates till june 2009". Are you in the US? There has never been that sort of promise in the UK.

You normally get ONE free map update but ONLY in the first 30 days and only if one has been released since the one you have on it.

Speed cameras you normally get ONE free update and after that you have to pay (normally £20 a year, but on special offer at the moment).
You'd be well advised to pay for the ones from here instead though.....

To update the operating software (and the maps if possible) you have to use TomTom's PC/Mac utility "Home".
This should be on the CD in the box, but if it is only v1.x, you'll need to update it to v2.3 from HERE (left hand green box to download it).

Your machine is likely to come with v7, try that for a few days, then make sure you have a full backup before doing an update which will take you to v8... some people don't like it. and with a backup you can get back to where you were before....

Don't bother adding ANY extra applications until you are sure you know what you are doing. There is a list of just about all of them HERE, but quite a few will not work on the latest software. TomTom don't want people to add things like this any more and have made it difficult for developers to make stuff work on the newer software versions.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always use the correct disconnect procedure as the software can be easily corrupted when removing the sat nav from the computer!!

I used Tomtom speed camera database for a week and compared it to the one on this site and to be honest I quickly realised that the pocketgps was much more accurate and with the incentive of if you are the first to report a new or a change to an existing camera you will qualify for free lifetime membership
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best advice I can give is to remove the TT speed cameras and pay out the £19 for the PGPSW ones immediately.
joeann90
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile hi,

I just received a 520 a few days ago,and in the box was a voucher to get an additional map upgrade till june 2009 Very Happy and a voucher for an additional safety camera update til june 2009 Smile i have already used the Lpg, and updated to map version 810. but can get another map upgrade by june 2009 with the voucher coupon inside the box, I think the only way you can get this offer of an additional map upgrade is if you buy the GO 520 BUSINESS edition, it is a special limlted edition, and if you go to ebuyer it is on a special offer price at the moment Very Happy so if you are thinking of getting a 520 try ebuyer,the price is great, Very Happy
pacemaker1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice guys especially andy keep it coming
this is why i enjoy and subscribe to good forums like this one
really fancied the video player etc so is the advice to stick with v7 instead of v8?. what is the difference?
for interest the june 2009 update offer is here:

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/1316/tomtom-go-520-special/a37e1e194751717c5206f7b37c94e105

cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: