Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Holux GM-270 or Holux GM-270 Ultra?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Holux GM-270 or Holux GM-270 Ultra?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wimpy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Holux GM-270 or Holux GM-270 Ultra? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am just about to piece together my first PocketPC navigation system. I have read nearly all of Dave's articles and reviews which have been extremely helpful. I will be using my old Axim X5 Basic which has a CF slot, with 256MB SD and TT3. This nav system will primarily be used in car, but it may be used occasionally for cycling and walking.

I have read the SirfXtrac article, and understand that this chipset can introduce a degree of lag when used in car. I would really appreciate some feedback from those of you who have used (or are using) the Holux GM-270 and Holux GM-270 Ultra as to your expirences and what your recommendation for in car use would be.

Thanks in advance, Wimpy.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not used either of those two receivers, but I have used a Haicom HI-303MMF, which uses the same SiRF chipset as the standard GM-270.

Sometimes in Central London I'll lose lock briefly, but my system is perfectly usable even in Central London. If I connected up an external antenna, I'd probably fare even better.

Do make sure you buy a decent SD card. Sandisk made cards will misbehave horribly in an Axim X5, and many brands can rebadge Sandisk. Your best bet may be to email ValueFlash at sales@valueflash.co.uk and ask if they have any 256MB SD cards that are made by Panasonic - I believe the Dane-Elec XS card they sell might be Panasonic.

Alternatively the 256MB SimpleTech ProX that Clove sell is likely to be Toshiba, which should be reliable in an Axim X5 and is almost the same read speed as a Panasonic made card.

David
Wimpy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the info, I am still undecided though. As I am planning to use this system primarily in the car I am not so keen on the potential lag issues with Xtrac so I am considering the standard GM-270. Choices, choices...

Thankfully, your posts in various other topics (including a new one of my own) have confirmed that my current SD media is suitable as it is made by Toshiba :-)
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the standard GM-270 and its an excellent receiver, i use everyday with no problems, gets good sat locks too, and comes with an aerial on a lead that you can plug into it to help improve reception if its slightly poor, although i've never needed to use it.

I've also got an x-trac receiver which gets an excellent sat lock, even from within my glovebox, but its unuseable for town driving, especially when roads are close together, as the lag makes the voice prompts and distance countdown to the turn too inaccurate.

I've also got a Haicom 303E MMF CF card, but I leave that at home as i prefer the Holux.
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also got the 256MB SimpleTech ProX SD card, from Clove, on some other peoples reccommendations on this Forum, in use with my iPAQ 2210, and its been 100% reliable so far.
airdale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Holux GM-270/Ultra Reply with quote

I use the 270(non-ultra) with my Ipaq 2215 and laptop where on both I run
Memory-Map.

The problem I see is that when you drive about 35 mph the updating of the route is such that curves are shown as distorted and not smooth.
Turns are not plotted correctly for the same reason.

The 'current position' widget in the display flashes for each update and it appears to be longer than a second. Even at one second the route can be distorted depending on your speed.

My Garmin Legend does not exhibit this characteristic.

Otherwise I like it. Problem with the Ipaq is washout of the display in outside daylight conditions. Better than the Garmin though in that area.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: