Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - garmin 860
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

garmin 860

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n4ewt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: garmin 860 Reply with quote

would you buy it, is there anything better out there? not cheap at £400 so wanna get it right
n4ewt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: garmin 860 Reply with quote

garmin 860 voice recognition
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: garmin 860 Reply with quote

n4ewt wrote:
garmin 860 voice recognition
Well i have just bought one and i think they are brilliant when you have found your way round them and they come with free traffic which is good also the "fm transmitter" option is absoluteley first class for playing sound through your car stereo with NO WIRES attached to the radio and with this option you can load it with mp3's and use it in the house on your home stereo as well providing you tune your stereo system to the same frequency as the nuvi (although i dont think it was designed for this option), I just sold my tomtom 910 for one so thats got to be saying something, also you can download maps and routes from the pc to the 860 as well.Hope this helps and got mine off the net for £350.00 good luck.Ferret79

TomTom 940 Live
n4ewt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the voice recognition work? sounds like it would be a big advantage
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n4ewt wrote:
does the voice recognition work? sounds like it would be a big advantage
Yes it certainly does

TomTom 940 Live
abercomp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you tell it what you are driving ie car bike lorry i am asking as i am interesting in using for towing also are the msn direct or similer available in the uk on the 860
thanks
The Rudd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Garmin 86o Reply with quote

Hi there

I have just had a look at my 860 this morning and yes you can change the mode to car, pedestrain or bike. I have attached the link for the 860t on Garmin, you can get all the specs and also view the demos etc which is what I did before I brought mine.

Re the MSN that is only for the 880 which is only available in the US

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=9650

Jerry aka the Rudd
n4ewt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfords have got a special price on at the moment bought mine yesterday for 379 and so far very impressed, looks like just a small speed camera database preloaded and how do you hang up the handfree when making a call?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subscribe to this site and use the camera database - it is excellent thanks to all members here who have contributed to it. If you manage to be the first to log a subsequently validated site - you get free life-time membership. In any event - the annual subscription is less than the GARMIN UK fee and you get "worldwide" coverage.

Re the phone - if it is like other nuvis; you should be able to touch the handset symbol that will be showing over the map. This will give you the option to drop the call. Or you can wait for the other party to drop the call!
abercomp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin 86o Reply with quote

The Rudd wrote:
Hi there

I have just had a look at my 860 this morning and yes you can change the mode to car, pedestrain or bike. I have attached the link for the 860t on Garmin, you can get all the specs and also view the demos etc which is what I did before I brought mine.

Re the MSN that is only for the 880 which is only available in the US

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=9650

Jerry aka the Rudd

ok but is there no lorry option as i think those will not be ok for caravan?

thanks
The Rudd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin 86o Reply with quote

Hi Abercomp

I don't think that there is a lorry option for the nuvi, the only one that may be suitable is the Nuvi 5000 which is the USA version.

Perhaps a trip tp google and look at Sirrius sat navs

Jerry
n4ewt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the configuration for external speaker is n't quite clear, gonna have a look at it today. set at 92.1 on both radio and 860 it works but what happens if you want to listen to 98.1 when it is set for 92.1 on the 860? looks like you can only pick the 1 radio station to listen to and have the sat nav also working on the same frequency?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how the FM system on it (and other similar devices) work. You set the Radio and the nuvi to the same frequency. You need to pick an unused frequency so you don't get interference. You can't listen to another radio station and the nuvi at the same time - always been the problem with these devices (iPod et al). Manufacturer's of satnavs need to look at putting a socket on the device that drives the car radio's mute circuits. Earlier GARMIN models did this apparently - it wouldn't add a lot to the cost.

Of course you could load an SD card full of MP3s and listen to those via the nuvi.
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n4ewt wrote:
the configuration for external speaker is n't quite clear, gonna have a look at it today. set at 92.1 on both radio and 860 it works but what happens if you want to listen to 98.1 when it is set for 92.1 on the 860? looks like you can only pick the 1 radio station to listen to and have the sat nav also working on the same frequency?
Best idea is to tune your radio to a clear frequency or one with very little noise and then tune the Nuvi to that frequency..its prety obviouse that if you want to listen to a certain frequency on you car stereo that you dont want to over-ride it with the Nuvi, I have tuned min to 88.1 and then used "memory 1" for the Nuvi on the radio.

TomTom 940 Live

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: