Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help tomtom one
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help tomtom one

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devonbuilder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Help tomtom one Reply with quote

hi, i purchased "Tom Tom Maps of Western Europe" from ebay and a memory card, as i had my original one stole by an ex-employee.

i put the map onto the card which reads in home fine but i am unable to view the maps via my gps, it just displays an image on my unit of a big red X on the memory card and telling me to remove it.

what am i doing wrong please? thank you for your time.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the map folder the memory card needs to have the system files and folders on it for the device to work, what version of TomTom One have you got, it should be possible to recover the device to a working unit with a little effort and some links to downloads (legal ones)

Or do you have a back up of the old device on your PC? - Mike
devonbuilder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, its a "TomTom ONE New Edition" well thats what it says in home other than that i do not really know. i could barely use the thing.

i have never made a backup but the home software did prompt me to when i installed it, typical.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Oldboy's web site by clicking Here and download the TomTom One V6,560 release, ignore the download with the higher version 7 release as this is for a One Third Edition IIRC.
Follow the instructions to install the files to your memory card.

For the HelpMe files you can download them from Here

For the PostCodes to work you can download the required data direct from TomTom by visiting This Page, again unzip the download and put the resultant “zip” folder in to the root directory of your storage card.

If you need some voices they can be obtained free of charge from This Page, note you must be logged in to the TomTom web site to be able to click the download option adjacent to the voice. Unzip the download and place the two files into the “voices” folder in the root directory or your storage, if need be create the “voices” folder before putting the files in to it (note no”” are required).

Now you should have the device back up and running, so please copy everything from the memory card to a known location on your PC.

Next step is to update the software to the latest release using omTom Home, and you should then perform another full back up to the PC, I would also consider putting your backup on to a DVD just in case the PC dies at some future point - Mike
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Backing uo onto a DVD Reply with quote

Mike, I have seen a few mentions of backing up onto a DVD, is that using a DVD-R or DVD-RW...I haven't ventured that far yet, just wondering the best way of doing it, is there a sticky on how to do it.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need to do is insert a blank DVD of the correct type your drive will support, most these days will write to any media type, but do check before purchasing a lot of blank disks.
Use your PC to copy all the files from the backup folder on the PC to the drive letter with the blank disk in it and burn the contents to the disk. I use Nero for disk burning, but there are plenty of other packages, Windows Explorer can also be used to burn data to disks - Mike
devonbuilder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Go to Oldboy's web site by clicking Here and download the TomTom One V6,560 release, ignore the download with the higher version 7 release as this is for a One Third Edition IIRC.
Follow the instructions to install the files to your memory card.

For the HelpMe files you can download them from Here

For the PostCodes to work you can download the required data direct from TomTom by visiting This Page, again unzip the download and put the resultant “zip” folder in to the root directory of your storage card.

If you need some voices they can be obtained free of charge from This Page, note you must be logged in to the TomTom web site to be able to click the download option adjacent to the voice. Unzip the download and place the two files into the “voices” folder in the root directory or your storage, if need be create the “voices” folder before putting the files in to it (note no”” are required).

Now you should have the device back up and running, so please copy everything from the memory card to a known location on your PC.

Next step is to update the software to the latest release using omTom Home, and you should then perform another full back up to the PC, I would also consider putting your backup on to a DVD just in case the PC dies at some future point - Mike

Thank you Mike, its working a charm.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that, now please assure me you have made a full backup using Windows Explorer? - Mike
devonbuilder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Glad to hear that, now please assure me you have made a full backup using Windows Explorer? - Mike

I have made a copy and saved it to a dvd disc. Jesus that was a headache, i reckon that tomtom should supply your gps software on the home disc just in case of any issues you can restore you navigator.

its very cheap of them not to do this i think i will never get another tomtom and opt for a unit with internal memory.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The devices with internal memory are just as bad, you still have to copy the entire contents from the devie to the PC and the for added protection copy the back up to removable disk. I will add some details to the FAQ #1 later to show how to coph the backup to removable media as it would appear some users are finding this a little difficult.

At least you got the device recovered and working again which is the main thing - Mike
devonbuilder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes its working great thank you mike.

i was getting to the point to just purchasing a new gps unit after the map i brought did not work.

i think that they should supply a "back to factory" setting disc like with computer operating systems.vit would solve many issues and surly not cost any extra as it could just be put onto the disc's that are supplied with the drivers and computer software.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: