Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - probably being stupid!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

probably being stupid!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cejsmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: probably being stupid!!!! Reply with quote

I've down loaded the POI for my 720 and the question I have is how do I put them on my tomtom. I've looked for a guide but cant find it.

Thanks for the help
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No questions are stupid, except the ones you didn't ask, as my old mum used to say! (maybe..)

It's surprising there isn't a more easy to find guide, I'll admit...

There are guides to create your own POIs and guides to add the speed camera POIs but nothing on or near the download page. I might have to think about writing one if it hasn't already been done (but lost in the depths of time.

Anyway, in brief:
(all the following is assuming you are using a PC with Windows XP - Vista and Macs will be broadly similar).

1. You download the POIs - hopefully there are enough instructions on the download page to work through the various options there...

2. You end up with a single "archive" file called something like "pois.zip" on your desktop (or wherever you downloaded it to). Right click on the file and select "extract all".

3. The individual files should now de-compress and appear in a new folder.

You will have one or more PAIRS of files called:
somename.ov2
somename.bmp

The .ov2 is the actual data and the .bmp is the icon or little picture you see on-screen.
(If you cannot see the "ov2" or "bmp" bits of the file name, you should open "My Computer" or "indows Explorer" and goto the Tools Menu/Folder Options/View tab, then UN-TICK "Hide extensions for known file types, about 12 items down in the list).

4. Connect the Go to the PC - Windows should recognise it as TWO new disk drives - the first will be the SD card slot and the second will be the internal memory.

5. Using the mouse in Windows Explorer, select the ov2 and bmp files, right click and select "copy" (or you can use "copy" in the Edit menu instead)

6. Browse to the Go's internal memory and find the named maps folder (something like "Great_Britain" or "Western Europe") open that up and then "paste" all the copied files into there.

7. Use "safely disconnect hardware" (in the system tray next to the clock) and wait until it says it is safe before you unplug the Go.

8. Switch on the Go and go to Change Preferences / Show POI on map. The new POI categories should now show up in the list for selection.

If anything's not clear... just shout. Smile
cejsmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Very Happy
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the FAQs here. The procedure for loading POIs is exactly the same as for the speed cameras described at number 4.

If you are unfamiliar, it could be a good idea to read all the FAQs while you're there - in particular number 1 to back up your device before you do anything else!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rats... I should have used that as the basis for my answer, rather than just mentioning it in passing - would have saved some typing! Sad

Things that aren't mentioned in that FAQ though are: how to unzip, and that on several models you now have to choose between the internal memory and the SD card to find your map folder.
As always, it is very hard to decide exactly what level of knowledge to pitch your instructions at. If you assume too much, half the readers don't understand it; but if you minutely explain absolutely everything (how you use the mouse to select multiple files and right-click to copy, for example), it ends up too wordy...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: