Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Further Advice Neede Please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Further Advice Neede Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rovernut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Further Advice Neede Please Reply with quote

I am in the process of deciding upon a satnav package.

I have decided to go with a PDA based system using an Ipaq 2210 and CoPilot Live PPC4 navigation software which I will mount in my car using a ProClip mount.

I am however not sure what type of GPS to buy.

I want something compact that will not have wires trailing everywhere when I use it in the car and I would also like the option to use it on foot and at the same time one that will not drain the PDA battery excessively.

I was going to go for a Fortuna CF Type GPS but the guy I spoke to at Handnav Technologies said I should go for the CoPilot bundled software and GPS. I am now a little confused.

What would be the best GPS buy?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather go with a BlueTooth GPS (and use the CF slot on the 2210 for the map data) CoPilot also comes in a BT bundle version.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with Lutz, if you can afford it then go for the Bluetooth solution. far more versatile, great in-car and equally good on foot.

Stow the BT receiver in a pocket of your rucksack and it will track your movements allowing you to take out the PDA and check your position whenever you chose.

With a CF solution you would havw to walk with the PDA held out in front of you constantly to achieve the same result!
Rovernut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.,
I think I need to catch up with bluetooth technology!
To keep things simple would it then be best to go with the CoPilot 'bundle' with the BT bluetooth GPS?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most BT GPS are identical in operation and set-up so unless it is cheaper to go with the CoPilot bundle shop around for the best deal.

I would add that I cannot recommend the Rikaline X-7 BT GPS, very fiddly to set-up, read the reviews at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/menu_gpshardware3.php and then see what's on offer Thumbs Up
Rovernut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren.
Have read all the reviews.
I think it is time to start spending some cash.
I expect Handnav Technologies will getthe benefit of my hard earned dosh as they have been so helpfull to date and prices seem reasonable.
Clarkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very recently had to make the same decision over CF or BT. I wanted a GPS I could use for everything, van, motorcycle, walking and maybe even carry it with me when mountain biking. I went for the CF GPS as I thought it would be more convenient to have just one unit to carry and to power as a simple battery box would give me an extra power supply.

The reality was not so good. It may be that the Fortuna Pocket XTrack (CF Card) just isn't very good for use in a van or maybe all CF GPS has similar problems. In order to get a fix I had to position the unit so it had a good view of the sky which meant it wasn't in the best place for me to use. Even then I regularly lost the fix and took 'virtual' excursions across fields, rivers, etc!

I considered external antennas etc but after speaking to others at the recent Hants meeting, none of whom had trouble with their BT units, I decided to bite the bullet and fork out for a BT GPS. It arrived this morning and was ready for use inside 20 mins (100% thanks to all the advice I have read on this forum over BT connections etc).

What a revelation. Most importantly it has not yet lost a fix but on top of this it is much more convenient to put the GPS on the dash and place the Pocket PC where it's easiest for me to use. Also, I can put the BT GPS in my pocket when on foot and use the Pocket PC without the weight and bulk of the CF card sticking out the top. It works like this too, the CF card would lose it's fix if not held out.

My only reservation over BT units was power wilst on foot or motorcycle (hey, its a sports bike. I'm not about to add power points and such like) and I have overcome this by buying the Navman 4100 which runs off 3AAA batteries, easily carried as spares or bought anywhere.

Software is Tom Tom for driving and Memory Map for walking. Both very good. Tom Tom is, I think, the only package able to use checkpoint to warn of speed cameras. This made it the top choice for me.

Sorry to waffle on but I am so pleased I coughed up for this BT unit and so dissapointed in the Pocket XTrack that I just had to tell someone.

Adrian
Clarkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and one more thing............

Using a Blue Tooth GPS leaves your Compact Flash slot free for a memory card. It hasn't escaped my attention that CF memory is getting on for half the price of SD.

Adrian
Rovernut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I have purchased CoPilot Live with Bluetooth GPS.
Iwill post some comments when I have had time to try it out.

Thanks to everyone who offered me advice.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: