Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Latest Maps Guarantee - when do I start using it?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest Maps Guarantee - when do I start using it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Latest Maps Guarantee - when do I start using it? Reply with quote

just unpacked my 920 and latest maps guarantee says 30 days from when I first use it? Presumably this is from the time I use TT Home for the first time? In which case could I just keep it away from home and, providing it works fine, only put it near home when the next new maps come out?

TIA

Jon
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that anyone is completely certain when the 30 days start from.

One problem with waiting beyond 30 days from your purchase date is that mapshare through tomtom home often fails to give you the latest map. In this case the only way to get your map update is to send tomtom a copy of your (dated) receipt. They don't seem to accept excuses along the lines of "I didn't use it for the first few months".
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks pcaouolte

good points.

maybe I'll wait around 25 days and get the latest they have to offer then

Jon
Strawbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sven1 wrote:
thanks pcaouolte

good points.

maybe I'll wait around 25 days and get the latest they have to offer then

Jon

I'm not sure that will work either! I tried updating my TT One XL 2 days afetr purchase & they've tried to delay my attemps to get my free update.

they asked for proof of purchase - reciept, serial number, promo activation, screen shots of home showing current map installed & map guarantee screen message! but when I tried to submit all of these the "My Questions History" & support pages were blocked so I couldn't submit any of it.

I called support & they suggested it was a fault with my IP address being blocked and the way to cure it was to take the proof to an internet cafe & submit it there! I'm not completely green when it comes to computers so I manually changed my IP address and tried again! It failed.

I called them a second time and it was suggested I fax the proof to Holland & told me that "it's not that big a deal" & "you're not missing much, if the truth be known".

I eventually got around the issue by changing my e-mail address and have now managed to submit the required files.

I wait with baited breath to see whether I get the free upgrade or if they'll try some other means of saving the company a few pennies. There's also the possibility that the device may record when it was first activated and report that annonomously when connected to Home.

the moral is: don't wait too long or their stalling may see you fall outside the guarantee period.
Beer_MonsterUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just unpacked my new 920T after my old 910 went belly up this morning. I've had a good gander round it and upgraded the firmware to version 8.010. When i went to check the map for western_and_central_europe i get v710.1576. I checked on the tomtom website and they are selling a v720 map. I had a leaflet in the box boasting about tomtoms "latest map guarantee" and followed the instuctions to the letter, but HOME told me i had the latest maps.

Can someone confirm if i do have the latest maps and if i would be eligible for an upgrade, before i go all postal on a poor tomtom Cust services guy. The old 910 i bought had old maps on it, and it drove me batty everytime i drove past ferrybridge powerstation on the A1 and showed me in the middle of a field for 10 miles. Evil or Very Mad

....or is it not worth the hassle and should be happy with what i've got? Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty normal....
Ring them up on 0845 161 0009 and say, "I have a new 720 but the Latest Map Guarantee in "Home" is not offering me the v920 maps. Please add the v720 versions of ALL the maps (Europe AND USA) to my account"

But far more important than that... Have you done a complete backup of the entire TomTom with Windows Explorer (not Home) yet? This is ESSENTIAL, and should really have been done before you did any updates at all, but if all is working well do one now anyway as a matter of urgency.
Instructions are in the TomTom FAQs in the "sticky topics" in this forum.
Strawbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
This is pretty normal....
Ring them up on 0845 161 0009 and say, "I have a new 720 but the Latest Map Guarantee in "Home" is not offering me the v920 maps. Please add the v720 versions of ALL the maps (Europe AND USA) to my account"

just in case you didn't spot the deliberate mistake, that should read: "I have the new 920 but the Latest Map Guarantee is not offering me the v720 maps. ... Smile

BTW: I now have my v720 map & they threw in a months free safety cam trial too.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that there are so many problems with LMG because it is hidden away on HOME's Tools menu. I know I took a long time finding it as I expected it ti be in "Update Device"
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
Is it possible that there are so many problems with LMG because it is hidden away on HOME's Tools menu. I know I took a long time finding it as I expected it ti be in "Update Device"

I knew whre it was. just tried to update. told i have latest maps. phoned TT support and now going through rigmarole of proving purchase date. they need to get this sorted.

Jon
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 days since I submitted proof of purchase and have heard nothing. how long is reasonable to wait?

Jon
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sven1 wrote:
2 days since I submitted proof of purchase and have heard nothing. how long is reasonable to wait?

Jon

Have you tried to use Home's Update My Device? The maps may be showing there.
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing there

Jon
Beer_MonsterUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Phoned TomTom and submitted a support request, they asked for proof of purchase which i duely supplied within minutes and have heard nothing from them despite a few e-mails asking for updates as to when i can expect my map to be updated. It's falling on deaf ears, no replies. I haven't had chance to phone them back yet due to working late, but i'll give them another call tomorrow. Sad

P.S After only 3 days of buying, i've discovered that the maps are out of date, namely the new A1 layout between blythe and Newark. Theres also been a major road change in Sheffield in the last 6 months and i'm eager to see if TomTom has updated this, because even as a local i stilll get lost round the Wicker. Shocked
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer_MonsterUK wrote:
P.S After only 3 days of buying, i've discovered that the maps are out of date, namely the new A1 layout between blythe and Newark.

Which map version are you using when you say the road layout is incorrect for that area? - the latest v720 maps are correct from what I can remember the v710 maps showed the old layout, the following shows the two junctions:

Even a new map will be out of date to some extent though, it takes time from the road layout being surveyed to the map data being made available to the companies such as TomTom who then have to create the map files for their products - certainly no something that occurs overnight, when you get your v720 map you shouldn't have an issue on the A1M, unless they have dug it up again - Mike
Beer_MonsterUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mike.

yeah, those are the 2 new junctions,is that 2nd screenshot the junction where it rejoins the A57 to Lincoln that is still under constuction? it would be nice to have the most up-to-date map version i can get when i've just shelled out best part of 300 quid.

I guess i'll just have to keep badgering tomtom CS to honour their guarantee commitment. It shouldn't need 2 phone calls and 6 e-mails and 2 days without even a responce though. Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: