Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - EUR version of speed cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

EUR version of speed cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gullman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: EUR version of speed cameras Reply with quote

Hi

I have the UK and IE plus major roads of Western Europe (660.1219) map.

Is the EUR speed camera database approprite for this, or is this for different maps?

Does the EUR databse include all the UK Speed zoned ones too, or do you have to install the UK and then also the EUR databse?

Thanks for any help

H
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the UK and European database on that map without too many issues, but remember in Europe you will only have major roads and small coverage of the secondary roads so some warnings might not be activated.

The European download doesn't contain any UK cameras so you will need to install both file sets to the device- Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: EUR version of speed cameras Reply with quote

Gullman wrote:
Does the EUR databse include all the UK Speed zoned ones too, or do you have to install the UK and then also the EUR databse?

We have a note on our download page that answers that question:

Gullman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for information.
JCYL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Eur Database in kph or mph? Reply with quote

Quick question, I am hoping to install both the UK + EUR database. May I please ask if the EUR speed zoned database is set at Kmph or Mph?

The reason why I ask this is that I saw the following files:
pocketgps_eur_gatso_130
pocketgps_eur_gatso_120
pocketgps_eur_gatso_110
" 100
and so on.... isnt 130mph abit too fast for a speed camera limit? So i thought to my self the EUR database must've been set to kmph. In order to match with my other database setting in UK i started to convert them into mph... as I was doing it I also noted these other files:

pocketgps_eur_gatso_20
pocketgps_eur_gatso_30
" 40
and so on... surly these must be refering to 20mph, 30 mph, 40mph etc.??

Therefore I am bit confused... whether the EUR database is actually set on mph or kmph... if so I will need to make sure all the units are converted.

Please advice... much appreciated!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up to the Forum.

Unless you use a Device that warns you according to the speed you are doing, it doesn't matter what's in the text.

As you don't indicate which Device you are using, it's difficult to give specific advice. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Eur Database in kph or mph? Reply with quote

JCYL wrote:
Quick question, I am hoping to install both the UK + EUR database. May I please ask if the EUR speed zoned database is set at Kmph or Mph?

The reason why I ask this is that I saw the following files:
pocketgps_eur_gatso_130
pocketgps_eur_gatso_120
pocketgps_eur_gatso_110
" 100
and so on.... isnt 130mph abit too fast for a speed camera limit? So i thought to my self the EUR database must've been set to kmph.

Yes, the EUR cameras are km/h, not mph.

Before you waste too much time changing them to mph, why not just set your GPS to km & m when you're outside the UK, then everything will tie in - road signs, speed limits, distance to destination etc.

Also, if you leave them as they are, you don't risk missing any in the conversion process.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:

As you don't indicate which Device you are using, it's difficult to give specific advice. Smile

The clue is in:
Quote:
I have the UK and IE plus major roads of Western Europe (660.1219) map.
Wink

EDIT: Ignore me! I'm an idiot... It was Gullman who had the v660 maps, you were talking to JCYL. Embarassed

JCYL :To repeat the advice above... leave everything as it is - no conversion or file renaming is neccessary.

The only thing you need to change is to switch the TT itself to work in km/h. All the cameras and icons will be correct in km/h in mainland Europe.

Last edited by Andy_P on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
JCYL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks to your advice. I shall leave everything as it is and just upload them without changing anything - shall remember to change gps to kmph mode when I get to Europe.

For your information I am using a Garmin Nuvi 760. please let me know if there is anything else I should be aware of under this unit?

Thanks again for your help.
JCYL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, one more question.

I am using the Garmin POILoader to load up the custom POI as speed camera data warning.

I read on the website that I should be load everything at once. IE if i am to have both GB and EUR data in my Nuvi then I must first extract both sets of data into 1 folder then upload both database at once to avoid custom POI overiding each other.

Is this true? if it is then I will have the following problem:
- As mentioned earlier in this thred, the EUR database is in kmph rather than mph. The GB database is in mph - the POIloader software will only allow me to specify either mph or kmph.... problem!

any pointers on how I should tackle this will be much appreciated... going on a 3000miles road trip cross Europe in only 3 days time and I am keen to sort this out!

many thanks.

PS: for the above database please assume that I would like to have both GB Speed Zoned + EUR Speed Zoned database installed.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it was my fault you've been given some misleading information, by implying you were the one with a TomTom in an earlier post, that others then carried on with. Embarassed

You are quite right about the fact that usually you need to load all the POIs at one and that with POI Loader you need to set it for mph or kmph at the time of loading.
The way round it was discussed only yesterday in another part of the forum (see THIS POST) and the way to do it is HERE

Hope that helps (more than my last answer!)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: