Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - nuvi 7XX series and mapsource Grrr......
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

nuvi 7XX series and mapsource Grrr......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: nuvi 7XX series and mapsource Grrr...... Reply with quote

I have posted recently on here that Garmin can provide a link to download mapsource and provide your unlock code so that you can transfer routes and waypoints between PC and nuvi (7x series).

This was what I was told last week by costumer services Laughing Out Loud and they sent me the unlock and I said I have a 2008 disk already (for my 2610 which I have not paid to unlock yet as unit faulty) so no need for link....

Well! absolute rubbish apparently.according to a different Garmin advisor.... as DVD I have is not NT this will not work!

have been told if I want to route plan on PC I have to buy a full copy of mapsource NT. I am seriously Censored now as I would not have bought this unit if this was the case.....
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: nuvi 7XX series and mapsource Grrr...... Reply with quote

eddieo wrote:
according to a different Garmin advisor.... as DVD I have is not NT this will not work!

NT will not work on some units, but the NON NT DVD should work with 'autorouting' on most units.

I have the new Colorado 300 that is supposed to have NT, but I use the NON NT in it!

Soooooooo, I would think that the DVD you have, will work ok, as all it should be that the maps are compressed differently.
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M8

In addition to what strumble said: You probably can transfer waypoints and possibly also routes between a Mapsource installation which has NON-NT maps loaded to a unit which has NT maps loaded. What you should avoid doing is transfer the NON-NT maps itself to the unit.

If you say it doesn't work, do you mean that you can't unlock the NON-NT maps on the PC? What did you already do? Did you install the maps from your DVD into the Mapsource installation on your PC?

BeatO
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeatO wrote:
Hi M8
If you say it doesn't work, do you mean that you can't unlock the NON-NT maps on the PC? What did you already do? Did you install the maps from your DVD into the Mapsource installation on your PC?
BeatO

I already have V9 mapsource on PC. so have tried to transfer routes to nuvi and SD card. to nuvi it say transferred OK but when I open nuvi there are no routes there....

I have tried to unlock 2008 (V10) with unlock code they sent me but it asks for a 7 digit registration number that I have not got.... thats why i called Garmin again yesterday and they told me this Censored

wish I had bought a unit with separate mapping on disk and then I could do what I want... I have a motorhome and like to plan trips on PC and have been doing this successfully with 2610 since 2004 and before that from 2000 with streetpilot 3 Agh!...... Rolling Eyes

But I am not paying for a duplicate map just for PC - it's a bl**min rip of!
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can create routes on you PC with v9 and transfer them to the unit - I have!

It is because you can only transfer the routing points to the unit, and then every Garmin unit I have owned then recalculates the route to the criteria/options within the unit!

You can never [in my five years experience of Garmins] transfer an actual route because the criteria is different on the PC and Unit.
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
I think you can create routes on you PC with v9 and transfer them to the unit - I have!

It is because you can only transfer the routing points to the unit, and then every Garmin unit I have owned then recalculates the route to the criteria/options within the unit!

You can never [in my five years experience of Garmins] transfer an actual route because the criteria is different on the PC and Unit.

I can assure you if you buy a unit with separate mapping on disc (like the zumo and others) you can transfer in either direction. as said, I have been doing this effortlessly since 2000 - thats why I'm so Censored. I was assured that I could do this with the 700 series....thats why I bought it

OK strumble, worse case scenario, and to get me out of trouble for half term french trip...How do I transfer routing points? Do you mean save a number of waypoints and will it do it that way?
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you mean save a number of waypoints and will it do it that way?

No, complete a route on the PC and transfer it to the unit.
When it arrives in the unit basically it will be Start,Via points, Map points and finish.
Then activate the route and it will recalculate using the transferred points!

I have done this on an iQue, 60CSX and now a Colorado.
jach0407
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieo

Had the same problem downloading routes from Mapsource. Transfer successful but no route. Discovered tonight if you go to tools/page down to MY Data option the routes are stored here first ( in import route from file).

Hope this helps
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:

Never say never - they've obviously changed something for the Nüvi 7xx series!
You definitely can plan a route in minute detail and import it intact into the 760. The thing you can't do, is subsequently edit it on the Nüvi - that causes a re-calculation, using the Nüvi's own rules.

(The following example contains no routing points at all - they were removed using http://www.fes-software.nl/zumo/unflag.zip)

Exhibit (a) - Convoluted route planned using Mapsource.

Exhibit (b) - Screen shot of preview of same route loaded into Nüvi 760. The Nüvi would never have dreamed up that route for itself!

Last edited by PhilHornby on Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilHornby, you are absolutely correct. That's why many older users will tell you that mapsource is of no real benefit for a nuvi since you can't actually plan a route on it. The older models couldn't. The 700's certainly can. Drives me nuts when posts are made saying the 700's can't do certain things or work a certain way since they used a nuvi 350 years ago and of course they're all the same.
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jach0407 wrote:
eddieo

Had the same problem downloading routes from Mapsource. Transfer successful but no route. Discovered tonight if you go to tools/page down to MY Data option the routes are stored here first ( in import route from file).
Hope this helps

well thanks for that useful information! (instead of criticism Rolling Eyes)

Yes that works fine! have just transfered route from home to Antibes on the cote de azur and it is running through route as I type.

well done that man! Smile

just to check: have just created another route from scratch and have downloaded it to nuvi and it is working....

Garmin support is not a shadow of its former self and I am really feed up with them......I will also suggest to them tomorrow that perhaps in future part of "staff training" Laughing Out Loud, should include some time spent on here. also to update user manual's accordingly and stop giving out duff info to loyal customers......
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also note that there is now a link to download mapsource at no charge from Garmin. It will only work if you have a mapsource compatible map, for instance NT City navigator, already on your computer. If you downloaded the map update from Garmin, then you already do, since it leaves a copy on the hardrive. Go to the Garmin site under Support | Updates & Downloads | Mapping Programs
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieo - Please quit with the asterisked swearing. The filter is there for a reason and not as a challenge for you to circumvent. If you can't use a word then don't use it at all

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: