Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A no doubt dumb newbue question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A no doubt dumb newbue question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBonner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: A no doubt dumb newbue question Reply with quote

Just bought a Streetpilot c550 and it seems easy enough for a GPS virgin such as me to understand. Everything that is except getting safety (sic) camera data installed on the maps. I have subscribed for 13 months worth of updates and as far as I can see they have been downloaded into the unit's POI file quite happily. However, there is no indication of camera sites on the maps (where I know they should be) although the box marked "Garmin Camera Sites" in Proximity Alerts is checked.
I have downloaded the POI Loader but that just tells me there is no data in any of the files, when I can see that the UK speed camera file alone has half a gig. Thus far I have not actually taken the device out for a trial run, and that may be the cause of my difficulty - can one not preview the camera sites?
Any advice would be most welcome, even if it does make me feel a little foolish for not figuring it out myself.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

POILoader is used for loading 3rd party (i.e. non-Garmin) POI files including the PGPSW Speed Camera Database.

I can't seem to find anyway to browse the Garmin database on my 760 either. However have you tried running a demo of a route past a known local camera? Alternatively why not try going out on a drive? You've never had the database before now so what difference would it make if it didn't work?

I'm sure you have it set up correctly from what you say, however i understand your reservations.
Lon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A no doubt dumb newbue question Reply with quote

JBonner wrote:
Just bought a Streetpilot c550 and it seems easy enough for a GPS virgin such as me to understand. Everything that is except getting safety (sic) camera data installed on the maps. I have subscribed for 13 months worth of updates and as far as I can see they have been downloaded into the unit's POI file quite happily. However, there is no indication of camera sites on the maps (where I know they should be) although the box marked "Garmin Camera Sites" in Proximity Alerts is checked.
I have downloaded the POI Loader but that just tells me there is no data in any of the files, when I can see that the UK speed camera file alone has half a gig. Thus far I have not actually taken the device out for a trial run, and that may be the cause of my difficulty - can one not preview the camera sites?
Any advice would be most welcome, even if it does make me feel a little foolish for not figuring it out myself.

Speed Camera locations are different from POIs in two ways:

1. You don't normally browse for a Speed Camera as you don't normally seek a route to one in the same way as a POI for a hotel or restaurant for example.
2. The information is not available to view as you'd be able to capture this information and pass it on outside of the Speed Camera Licence. They are protecting their interests by not making the coordinates and position etc available to browse to prevent circumnavigating the licence.

Once loaded, when you're on route to a speed camera your Sat-Nav will beep and highlight it accordingly.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: