Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 730 - Road Sign Labels showing far too often?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 730 - Road Sign Labels showing far too often?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Go 730 - Road Sign Labels showing far too often? Reply with quote

Hi all.

Recently got a Go 730 to replace a dud 720.

Quite like what I have seen so far, truth be told, apart from one thing I have found...

In the top right hand corner of your screen, the display in Driving View, shows the "Road Sign" of the next main interchange/destination that you will encounter.

Nothing too wondrous there, as the 720 also did this too from Time to Time.

But that's the thing... the 730 has these Road Label Signs in the top corner far far more often, regular and persistently than the 720 used to.

So, has anyone else noticed this, or is there a way to reduce or prevent it?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a separate point, the new x30 range is described as sleek black.

And whilst it's certainly more black in parts than the grey 720, mine is not like how screen/web images of it look.

That is to say, from immediately at the edge of the screen, out over, the 730 is BLACK rather than Grey as the 720 was.

But after that bit, between this and the wrap-around rubberised outer material, is a shiny silver and grey bit, which includes the mic and light sensor bit at the top.

On web images of the x30 range, this is black not silver, and the screen surround is silver, not black like mine is.

See Darren's new post HERE for what I mean - that looks sleek black, including the mic and light sensor bit.

But mine is the other way round - BLACK round the screen border, but then silver where the mic and sensor is.

How does anyone else's look? Purely out of interest, nothing more than that?

Or as an afterthought, is this a 730/930 thing, where different models, within the same range, are different coloured maybe?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Go 730 - Road Sign Labels showing far too often? Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
Or as an afterthought, is this a 730/930 thing, where different models, within the same range, are different coloured maybe?

That is a 930 which differs in appearance from the other models.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thanks Darren.

Don't suppose you've come across the issue of Road Sign Labels in the top right showing much more frequently than x20 devices, or know a work-around, by any chance?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short...
Change Preferences
Name Preferences
Show next motorway/signpost

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
In short...
Change Preferences
Name Preferences
Show next motorway/signpost

Thanks Dennis - and not to be ungrateful for your response, it was appreciated.

But that would turn it off.

What I am asking, is is there a way to get it's frequency of appearing, back to 720 levels.

As on the 730, this sign is there for all sorts of roads.

On the 720 it really was just on screen for more major upcoming road/motorway exits and junctions etc.

I suspect I'm gonna know the ultimate answer though.

Ah well, it's not an end of the world issue - there's still more than enough to the 730 to have it in a favourable light over the 720 it replaced.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The option is ON or OFF. That is no different from x20 series. It's a navigating function, not a display issue.

With it ON, it shows when you have a route planned. It doesn't show with no route planned.

With it OFF, it doesn't show.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
The option is ON or OFF. That is no different from x20 series. It's a navigating function, not a display issue.

With it ON, it shows when you have a route planned. It doesn't show with no route planned.

With it OFF, it doesn't show.

Then let me update potential x30 users to the fact, as I said, that with Navcore 8, one can only assume, a software change HAS been implemented, whereby it is ON for far more of the time, or for far more roads, or far earlier, or whatever it is that is doing it.

But rest assured, the behaviour is NOT the same as per a x20 device, just so as you are aware Dennis, if ever contemplating one.

Why do I say this?

Well firstly, because it has already been highlighted on here, or a certain other site, but in a post or thread I now find I cannot locate, in order to see if it said anything about altering the behaviour.

So has already been accepted as correct.

But moreover, because I see this now, all the time, in that the "Warn Distance" of my speed cameras used to alert me to cameras in good time, then I could 'see' where they were, at the top of my screen as I approached them, well in good time also.

Now, you have to wait until you are FAR CLOSER to them, to actually see them, as the road label thingy is on screen that much now, it is covering them up until you get closer, and consequently, they are lower down the screen, and can be seen.

I know this from traversing the same routes I always have, where said Road Sign thingy did NOT appear on a x20 device!

Setting the warn distance won't alter this or fix it, as I already get the audible alert and check my speed - it's just that an inch or so, maybe a bit less, of screen real estate, is being covered at the very top, all too often now, right where speed camera icons would first appear on the driving view.

Thus you can't actually SEE the location of said sites, until you are much much closer, with these road labels being on screen so often.

Hope this info is useful to other people, hence my posting it.

For now, I am playing about with it still on, to see how often it is appearing, and trying to work out the new behaviour and what type of roads actually make it appear.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not observed any such difference on my device running v8 and the latest maps.

And can I please make a polite plea to you in respect of your posts and their length. I'm sure I'm not alone in finding them way to long, brevity is the key, few of us have the time or patience to wade through your essays!

Can I please ask that you invest some of your obvious energy and enthusiasm in cuttting to the point in future? Your above post is only slightly lengthy but some are half a page long! Take some time to look at the posts of others and compare, it's not a dig at you but a polite request that briefer posts that cut to the chase will get quicker answers and avoid being misconstrued.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: