Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Petrol Station - Temp Closure
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Petrol Station - Temp Closure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Petrol Station - Temp Closure Reply with quote

If a petrol station (or any other POI) is going to be closed for a short period should /could this be submitted and included in the download? Maybe in the details field?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a details field in the ov2 version?

I just tried downloading a test category at random (BCA car auctions), in both "tomtom - ov2" format and "other - csv" and opened them both in POIEdit.

For the .ov2 version I see Three columns: Lat, Long and "description". In the "description" column is both the name and the phone number, e.g. Bridgwater~441278685511 (the "~" is actually a "greater than" sign, but this board won't let me type that!)

For the .csv version I only see the Lat and Long and the phone number e.g. +441278685511 so that seems to be a funny in POI Edit.

Opening the .csv version in Excel or Notepad and I can see 4 columns - Lat, Long, Name, and Details (which seems to have the phone number mainly).
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like it could either be a great idea or an administrative nightmare.

There's a petrol station within a mile of my home, which was closed for about 6 months to be totally refurbished this time last year. However, it wasn't until a few days before it re-opened when the opening date was given.

I'm not sure how you can manage a 'temporary' closure when you don't have the information to say what the duration of the closure is.

Also, there's another petrol station which I pass on my way to and from work. There's been a notice of a one day road closure (today) for a week or two and, although this petrol station is also accessible from a road unaffected by the closure, the petrol station itself has been closed since yesterday evening (without prior warning).

In the general scheme of things, this would constitute a 'temporary' closure in my book, but it would be totally nonsensical to even attempt to include such short term 'temporary' closures within a database would it not?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The petrol station near me has a sign up stating it is closing tonight and reopening on 18 June 2008.

It was just a thought as i didn't know if there was a way to add this as a comment in the POI download or to temporarily suspend a POI from the database.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the pgpsw cameras, I'm no great user of POIs. I did once look for a petrol station when my warning light started to blink - simply looked for POI near me, Petrol station and selected the one listed within 2 miles and went for it - fingers crossed, it was a TT POI. I did NOT read any comments (if it had any). I don't think I'd look for comments if I wanted a POI.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far do you go, what happens if its out of opening hours, I dont think you can cover every scenario, personally I dont run till empty and fill up at the last minute.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you do the mileage I cover, you KNOW how your fuel consumption is going. I've been driving a Kangoo van since 2000 - change every two years for new, so I KNOW. I started looking because although I knew I had enough to get by (the fuel light gives me a couple of litres left - 24 miles), I wanted the backup of having enough fuel to answer another callout promptly. In 45 years of driving, I have never run out of fuel.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to live dangerously.
I ALWAYS run it 'til it's dry (yes I KNOW that can suck sh*t into the carbs) and like to see just how far off the bottom of the "E" I can get.

I used to always carry a gallon in the back, and used it LOTS. But since I've had this car it's never made it back into the boot, so I'm always playing a sort of Russian Roulette.

Stupid, stupid, stupid! Stop it!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: