Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Thanks
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks Pocket GPS World for your web site which helped me make my decision on the system that I think suits my needs
1500 miles & 3 weeks on, from delivery of my GPS bundle (HP2210, Navman 4410 with SmartST V2). I took some advice from the forums.
In respect of GPS signals in cars. I own a Vauxhall Zafira & was concerned with signal reception as posted on some forums, so I purchased an external Haicom antenna at the same time as the Bundle. I have optional privacy glass fitted, the antenna is not needed if you mount the GPS in the back side window and use the rear power socket for power supply. It will not work up front, you are correct the heat reflective screen stops the signal.
The PDA works as expected, with the free point’s scheme; by HP you can get software for your PDA, when you register.
The Navman, a little larger than my Brothers Tom Tom Blue tooth, works well with the oem supplied suction mount. I have not been stopped by PC Plod yet for displaying a blue flashing light in a vehicle, (I’m glad the nights are getting lighter, but I have the electrical tape ready). It would be nice to have the ability to turn the Blue light off.
The mapping works well, it has only given me 1 wrong voice command, which was a right at a fork in the road with a RH turn on it down to a farm. I was not going to the farm, the map was spot on.
I am going to get a 1GB Compact Flash card to hold the maps I need & also looking at OS mapping & a robust case for the 2210, so that it can be used for endurance paragliding. Anyone any suggestions.
Thanks..
DRP
Thumbs Up
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!

You may want to check out Scan because they are selling the 2.2GB MicroDrive's for £115.15 inc VAT. I've got two of these and they work well with double the disk space!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regards the blue LED, Construction & Use permits these as long as they are not bright enough to be considered emergency warning beacons. This is why those odd Bbue LED lights that the street racers have on their windcreen washer jets and truckers have in their cabs are permitted.

You are not however permitted to show red lights to the front of any kind.
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the emphasis on PC Plod.
Where we live the only criminal is the motorist. If you know your statistics we are the most heavily motorist police area in the UK. My son was stopped for having a Halford’s blue anodized air freshener on his dashboard and was cautioned over displaying a blue light, so beware.
DRP Sad
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit the blue light was a new one on me. I've wondered how visible at night the blue light is and overtook a friend who had a Bluetooth GPS sitting on the dashboard but couldn't see it through his headlights. If it was a big domed thing like you use to see them use on the American films where you saw an unmarked police car give chase, then sure I could understand why you'd get pulled over with that on the dashboard, but a Bluetooth light. I'd think the person pulling you over would have to be pretty anal and be pretty bored.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRP wrote:
Why the emphasis on PC Plod.
Where we live the only criminal is the motorist. If you know your statistics we are the most heavily motorist police area in the UK. My son was stopped for having a Halford’s blue anodized air freshener on his dashboard and was cautioned over displaying a blue light, so beware.
DRP Sad

I speak from experience here as and there is no specific offence unless the light could be misconstrued. Obviously I know nothing of your son's case and as you don't have your location in your profile my knowledge of policing and area stats would be of little benefit but a blue LED unless very bright does not contravene any regulation. And for the record, I am far more concerned with poor driving, badly maintained cars and insurance than neon lights under sills and loud stereos 8)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: