Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS newbie: safety camera files?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS newbie: safety camera files?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotty_08
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: GPS newbie: safety camera files? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm a complete newbie at GPS, but have quite a long experience with computers...

Having bought a TT 1 v3 Europe last Christmas and used it extensively during a recent trip to Italy, today I tried out HOME. After doing the suggested downloads, I decided to bite the bullet and go for a new map before the 30 days is up. Made backups using HOME and also copied all files via Windows. Not enough space for download, so I told HOME to delete the existing map and install the new one.

So far so good - it has indeed updated the map, but I was more than surprised to see that the safety camera files have also been deleted. I have copied the .ov2, .dct and .ver files from the backup back into the map directory, as well as the .tlv files into the poi directory.

My questions:

- is what I've done going in the right direction?
- is it sufficient to have full functionality as before the delete/download?
- can I still get updates for safety cameras?

Any help welcome.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as if you've taken the proper approach . By the way, if you had favourites created in an earlier map, you'll likely find them missing in the latest one. If so, just copy the file MapSettings.cfg found in your backed up map folder and overwrite the existing file in the map folder on your unit.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, you seem to have done everything right so far.

Interesting proof that the "30 days latest map guarantee" DID work for you even though the TT was bought way before that. There has been a bit of debate over when the 30 days actually starts, so it seems it IS when you first connect to Home.

Anyway, a couple of points, just in case you weren't aware:

The TomTom-supplied camera database is handled in the "Plus services" menu not the Manage POIs menu (like all other POIs with ov2 file names are). You might need to re-enable them. Unlike the alternatives, you cannot see the TT cameras on the map, ONLY on the navigation screen as you approach them.

The TomTom-supplied database is a subscription service, so no more updates unless you pay for them.

Most people here would agree that the TomTom-supplied database is VERY POOR, compared to the alternative from this site (which is also a subscription service, but with an opportunity to win free lifetime subscription by reporting a new camera).
scotty_08
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Good to know I'm all set.

Andy_P2002: couldn't find the Plus menu. Could you let me know how to get there?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: