Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 930 not recognized by Home
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

930 not recognized by Home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucaris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: 930 not recognized by Home Reply with quote

Beware: Shiny new TT 930 arrives Saturday from Pixmania first thing I do is change the voice to Kate (EnglishGb). No Kate on the unit, plenty of other european computer voices but no UK or US.

Logged into Home, updated application to 8.002, downloaded Kate and installed successfully (it says) however the voice is still not visible. Called TT support this morning only to be told that Home doesn't support the 930 at the moment, so you'll have to make do with the standard voice until it does.

If you want to test the theory out have a look at the ID Home gives the unit - "XL HD", choose "Operate my GO" and change the voice - only the non-TTS are visible.

Evil or Very Mad
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a workaround

If you have acess to anyone with a *20 with the TTS voices on it you can copy the nentire loquendoTTS folder to the 930 it will then work with british voices - only a temp fix but at least a fix for now...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only imagine the scenes at TomTom HQ...

"Right lads... finally we've got a chance to launch this one properly. No delays, no screw ups, software tested an its all ready to go. Yes?"
"YES SIR!!"

Two days later....
"What do you mean there's NO UK text-to-speech voices?????!!!!"
"What do you mean Home thinks it's a One XL????!!!!"
"What do you mean, Traffic and Map Share still don't work????!!!!"

This isn't some subtle bug they've missed, this is OBVIOUS.
Can't they get ANYTHING RIGHT?
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
I can only imagine the scenes at TomTom HQ...

"Right lads... finally we've got a chance to launch this one properly. No delays, no screw ups, software tested an its all ready to go. Yes?"
"YES SIR!!"

Two days later....
"What do you mean there's NO UK text-to-speech voices?????!!!!"
"What do you mean Home thinks it's a One XL????!!!!"
"What do you mean, Traffic and Map Share still don't work????!!!!"

This isn't some subtle bug they've missed, this is OBVIOUS.
Can't they get ANYTHING RIGHT?

It might have something to do with european stock from Pixmania, given that it isn't launched in the UK.

No doubt that when the UK version launches it will have UK voices and TTS. According to the French language TT website the 930 isn't available yet!

Probably why Home doesn't support it yet, as it doesn't look like it has actually launched yet.

Andy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I bought any "UK" TomTom with TTS facilities and then wanted to use it in France, I would expect to be able to switch to a French TTS voice, so the street names were pronounced correctly. This is what TomTom themselves suggest.

So what's the difference? If theere is insufficient room on the internal memory, then they should have provided more, or AT THE VERY LEAST, supplied all the other voices on a CD/DVD complete with an apology and explicit instructions on how to install them.

Either the unit is fit for use in the territories for which it has maps, or it isn't.

Last edited by Andy_P on Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the double post - but relevent here as well

Official Response from TT Support on the Home and Voice Issues

Quote:

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

Sorry for the delay in response, I have been told that Home 2.2 will not yet support the computer voices download. Home 2.3 which is due for release very soon (no date available yet though) will support this feature and allow the download. Again I apologize for the situation.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

So No TTS Voices on imported units until some time who knows when

QUOTE ANDY_P

Quote:
If theere is insufficient room on the internal memory, then they should have provided more,

Exactly the lastest 715 maps (EU & NA together) are already too large to fit in the internal 4gb memory yet the 800 maps are smaller, are they cutting back on data to fit the internal memory, I really think we should have seen a memory increase on the *30 series, lets face it the production costs to add an extra 2 or 4gb are probably no more than when the original 4gb *20 series came out, you can almost certainly say its cosing them less to make a *30 than a *20 so decrease in production costs yet the unit is more expensive and running into storage problems.
lucaris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll hang onto the unit and see what happens Home 2.3-wise. Watch this space for a more chilled post in the very near future .... hopefully!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: