Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - map uninstall
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

map uninstall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVO172
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: map uninstall Reply with quote

A few months ago i uploaded a newer map to my i3 streetpilot,(europe v9) however since then i now find that i cant put in post code searches or find any towns etc, if i go to address, i get "select state" as if its now american or something? i wish i had not done it now, and i would like to go back to the original map. cant remember how i uploaded the map or how to uninstall the new one if its possible. map was downloaded as a torrent.
i dont have a 25 digit key either

help

Crying or Very sad
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to ask Garmin for a DVD with the maps on and most likely have to buy an unlock code.

Quote:
since then i now find that i cant put in post code searches or find any towns etc, if i go to address, i get "select state" as if its now american or something?

Sounds like you installed Metroguide maps which aren't routable.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
You'Sounds like you installed Metroguide maps which aren't routable.

(late reply, replying now because it was a linked message from another post / thread)

Given that metroguide isn't routable out of the box, but can be made so using either Metrowizz or Metrogold, what's the legality of doing so, and discussing here?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an illegal download.

Quote:
map was downloaded as a torrent

Unless of course Garmin give Metroguide away for free?
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
It's an illegal download.

As a specific from the op - OK, I get that.

What I meant, though, is that Metroguide is buyable - before now, people have bought them on ebay (I'm talking about pukka disks, not copies / burnt disks).

Given that it's not licensed in the same way as other mapping, and can be made routable, and hence used by sat nav units (albeit not perfectly, roundabout directions, for example, aren't ideal when you use metroguide maps made routable), I was just curious as to the "official" (ie here) perception on dicussions of using software to make metroguide (legally obtained) maps routable, that's all.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i don't have a problem with making MetroGuide routable if it's been bought, but in the same way i don't help people with pirate software on their PCs when at work, i don't see it's appropriate to help someone with stolen software here.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a simple stance on this subject and Paul is correct. If you are seeking assistance with software that is in any way illegitimate, here is not the place to ask.

Whatever the issue, if you have stolen software (and that is what so-called pirate software is) then don't ask as we will not help.

However, if I understand correctly, the OP now wishes to revert to his legitimate maps? In which case we would help if we can as it may serve as a lesson to others thinking pirate software is a good idea.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
We have a simple stance on this subject and Paul is correct. If you are seeking assistance with software that is in any way illegitimate, here is not the place to ask.

Whatever the issue, if you have stolen software (and that is what so-called pirate software is) then don't ask as we will not help.

Sorry, just want to clear up any misunderstanding - I'm not talking about discussing illegally obtained or pirate mapping.

What I'm questioning, is whether obtaining a legal / valid copy of metroguide, then making it routable using either Metrowizz or Metrogold is considered an OK subject for discussion, here.

I understand, and am on-board with the concept of not discussing pirated maps, here, what I was curious about was whether the discussion regarding technique of making, and use of (notionally) non-routable mapping (Metroguide) routable by means of software or utilities, is also bad form here.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
Sorry, just want to clear up any misunderstanding - I'm not talking about discussing illegally obtained or pirate mapping.

What I'm questioning, is whether obtaining a legal / valid copy of metroguide, then making it routable using either Metrowizz or Metrogold is considered an OK subject for discussion, here.

I understand, and am on-board with the concept of not discussing pirated maps, here, what I was curious about was whether the discussion regarding technique of making, and use of (notionally) non-routable mapping (Metroguide) routable by means of software or utilities, is also bad form here.

I'm not familiar with Garmin et al but from what I understand of this routing issue I think it is acceptable to discuss?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Garmin et al but from what I understand of this routing issue I think it is acceptable to discuss?

I believe it's in the same vein as unlocking Windows on certain devices. Not illegal itself as long as the appropriate licenses are held for any software and maps used.

The problem is the OP doesn't have a map disk or the 25 digit unlock code for the original maps that came with the device, so all they can do is go back to Garmin, request a disk and in all probability have to pay for an unlock code, which is what i said in my first reply.

edit: clarify a point
EVO172
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if i have broken a rule here, im a total novice with sat navs and yes i do want to go back to the original map,i bought the unit brand new, and have a legit unlock code etc, i bought the unit at halfords and yes i made a mistake of trying to instal a copy, but i have learned my lesson, i really just want the unit back to how it was, if not i will throw it in the bin, its not much use to me without postcode search
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. There are 2 ways forward.

One is to make the current maps routable with postcode search. Whilst i don't know how to someone else probably will...

The other is to tell us what maps you had in the first place. I would guess it was v8, but you need to be sure. If you have the box look at the bar-code it often has the shipped map version number. Of course if you have had a legit update since then we need to know what version that was and does the Unlock Code relate to the original map or the upgrade.

Once you know what maps you have an unlock code for you need to get hold of a map CD - this maybe difficult but someone might have one out there they can lend / give you (the CD is of no use without an unlock code). Once you have this you should be able to load the CD into a PC, connect the i3 to the PC and use the unlock code to reinstall the maps.

There's even a handy guide you can download that steps you through the process thanks to MaFt.
EVO172
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the box it says city navigator europe nt uk/ireland only think it had v7 on as i remember it asking to install v8 on the nag screens

thanks
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so you need a CD that states

Quote:
City Navigator Europe NT UK / Ireland v7

I would post a request in the Garmin Nüvi, StreetPilot and Other Garmin PND's forum to see if anyone is prepared to lend / give you a CD.

Maybe make an offer towards P&P but you shouldn't have to pay for the CD itself...

Note: As this is a clean install i suspect you'll need a Full Installation CD and not an upgrade CD. (Although you can use an upgrade CD to install to a new SD Card so perhaps the only difference is the price of the unlock code.....) This maybe a fruitless search to be honest. You might have to contact Garmin to see if you can get a CD from them. Tell them the unit was accidentally wiped and you have the original unlock code but no map CD. You may find you have to buy the latest v10 maps (~£50) depending on what they say...

I don't suppose you made a backup of the SD card before you installed the "new" maps?

Sorry if this sounds very confusing but the unit has quite old maps on it, units weren't shipped with map CDs and there are no legit downloads. We need to get the right CD for your unit that will work with your Unlock Code.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: