Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 720 or TT 920T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 720 or TT 920T

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diddytitan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: TT 720 or TT 920T Reply with quote

Hello all, I never bought a sat nav before and wondered if you could give me some advice please...
I was just going to buy a TT720 because I need Euro maps n thought the SD slot was a good idea when someone told me it had been discontinued and the 920's replaced it,

is the 920t worth an extra £100 -- (@ £289 ) on a budget : ( for the few extra features you get...

not really that bothered about the US maps but suppose nice to have, just incase..
The new positioning tech sounds handy as Id be stuffed if I got stranded*

Is the free lifetime traffic alert really free and is it any good - does it just rely on the normal radio info, or is it TT info. also if it is normal radio does it show that on a route you've plotted.

just out of interest, is there a size limit to which the SD expansion slot can recognise.

is the unit basically the same as the 720, or has the same features been improved on at all

cant think of anything else at the mo but if anyones got any ideas/views would be great to hear from you as I'll prob make the wrong choice n get stitched up....

sorry to waffle

many thanks
Dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't want the US maps then you still get a remote, the Traffic Antenna and free service AND the gyroscopic EPT feature.

Traffic's not that much use in the UK, reception is dire and information poor at the best of times. EPT is useful if you have many tunnels or underpasses on your routes but only you can decide if that and the remote justify the additional cost, I wouldn't say they do.

Have you seen our review here?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Dave.

Firstly the 920 is the same as a 720 with a few extras, namely more on board memory (for the USA maps) and the accelerometer for driving in tunnels. the 720 and the 920 both have SD card slots and will support SDHC type storage cards. Oh and you get the remote control and RDS-TMC receiver.
The card can be 4GB in capacity without any problems at all, you can use larger cards 8GB and 16GB can be used and are fine in the x20 devices, but you have to put the information on the card using a card reader.

RDS-TMC uses information broadcast via the FM network, Classic FM and a number of other stations are used to supply the information, the data isn't as good as some would like. Delays are often incorrect, it is certainly not something I would use to make decisions as to what route to take.

If you don't need the US maps then I would look at picking up a bargain, the 720 units have been discounted and have been seen for less than £170 in the past couple of weeks.
I should also point out the newer x30 devices which will be in the shops very soon, this explains why the x20 units are discounted in price - if you want an x30 with newer maps and the very latest software you might want to wait a while - Mike
diddytitan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: It gets worse hehe : ) Reply with quote

Thanks for your fast responses chaps much appreciated!!

I wanted to take a TT away with me in a few weeks within the UK, and then France in a few months, UK trips not so important but would have been nice..POI etc,

the x30 seems to have confused the whole thing for everyone hehe...nightmare...

so can you just upgrade the software n maps on the 720 & 920's to get the better lane change detail, buildings + bits n bobs, oh and also the HD traffic update, think it said u can plug the transmitter into the x20's cant remember, or have you got to buy a new unit.
Also if you can update the maps...would it cost, someone said 80 quid ?? werent sure about him though, think he was trying to sell me a Garmin..
but he didnt mention the x30's think he just meant the fully updated maps???

Like people said its a bit off if the x20's are 'out of date' already...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: It gets worse hehe : ) Reply with quote

diddytitan wrote:
so can you just upgrade the software n maps on the 720 & 920's to get the better lane change detail, buildings + bits n bobs

TomTom will almost certainly release an update for other devices in due course.
Quote:
and also the HD traffic update, think it said u can plug the transmitter into the x20's cant remember, or have you got to buy a new unit.

When released it should be compatible with x20's. It will also require a subscription to use.
Quote:
Also if you can update the maps...would it cost, someone said 80 quid

Yes, map updates are released from time to time and £80 isn't far off the mark. That's pretty good value for what is after all the most important part of any navigation unit, good maps! TomTom are no different to other brands here and the prices reflect the costs of the map data.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: