Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No satellites with clip on BT : Please help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No satellites with clip on BT : Please help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mortimere
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: No satellites with clip on BT : Please help Reply with quote

Hi,
I just baught a fortuna clip on BT, to work with my pocket pc Toshiba E740 BT, and tom tom navigator 1.53.
The BT connexion beetwen the E740 and the GPS works fine, but I can't get any position? I have tried all the differents set up, with ST and XT, but I can't get anything. I think the gps can't get any satellites. In fact, the setellite led on the gps is red. I just reset the GPS by removing the battery, still nothing..
Any ideas ???

Thanks for your help Smile
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got a red light (middle light) then it hasn't got a fix, it should go green. Make sure you have a clear view of the sky and try it outside of the car first, you may have a UV coated windscreen which is blocking GPS signals.
mortimere
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Still no luck, withblue syy Reply with quote

Hi, Thanks for your reply . Unfortunatly, I have tried it outside yesterday, for one hour, and it a bright blue sky for the past two days here in Paris. I don't really know what to do. Any other tips ?
thanks Smile Crying or Very sad
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't try to connect it to the Tosh, and just take the GPS outside and switch it on for 5 mins, does the red light go out ? I'm assuming that a factory fix has already been attempted since charging the GPS ? Sometimes a factory fix can take up to 15 mins to receive all the information necessary.

If the red light is still on after this, then you may have a faulty GPS. If you can get a valid Bluetooth connection to the GPS, following this article as this might help in diagnosing a little more.
mortimere
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: What is the factory fix ? Reply with quote

You say "I'm assuming that a factory fix has already been attempted since charging the GPS ". What is a factory fix. My GPS is brand new, from the box, I just did a reset by removing the battery.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a GPS has never been powered up before (e.g. come straight out of the factory) then you may need to do a factory fix. Most GPS's are now powered up, but when they fly all over the world sometimes the almanac data is out of date.

A hot/warm/cold fix needs to download the ephemeris data from the satellites (approx 30-60 secs) and you will see this on a regular basis depending on how much current data it has.

Then you have the Almanac which is current for a couple of months. You need to have a roughly accurate Almanac to be able to obtain quicker fixes. To download a complete Almanac will take a minimum of 12.5 minutes but can sometimes take 15-20 mins and have been known to take 30 mins. It all depends on your current signal strength, whether you are receiving multi-path errors (signals rebounding off of tall buildings) and whether you have direct line of sight (and of course the battery is charged).

Try putting the GPS outside for 30 mins, go back in-side and then return afterwards, power it off and on again and connect your Pocket PC and see if you can get a quick fix. If you do go outside, try and not be too close to any tall buildings or trees, just leave it out in the open there for a while and grab a coffee.
mortimere
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Yes, I have got a fix Reply with quote

thanks a lot for your help. I 've the fix and position now, very accurate position in fact. I can start to try the software.
Many thanks Thumbs Up
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long did you leave it to obtain a fix ?
mortimere
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: time to obtain a fix Reply with quote

hi,
It took about 15min yesterday to obtain a fix.
Unfortunatly, I can't get anything since last night, it sits outside by the window, for about 2 hours this morning, but nothing. Very strange. :|
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All GPS's have a backup battery (or capacitor) that needs to have a good charge to retain the almanac. I'd guess you probably have charged it enough, usually a couple of hours should suffice. Even then if it wasn't charged then you should obtain a fix in about 15 mins.

If the GPS is by the house it may be shielding it's view, the GPS tends to prefer being away from tall buildings otherwise you may be blocking satellites (the ones that count).

If it still doesn't work, it might be you have a faulty Fortuna.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: