Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Need A New Satnav But Which One ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Need A New Satnav But Which One ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fluke9
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Need A New Satnav But Which One ??? Reply with quote

I am after a new satnav for the car, I am a London mini-cab driver and my poor old Tomtom 510 is on its last legs, its had 6 new screen mounts since I got it.

So I need a new one, but what to buy ???
I don't have a clue, the new Tomtoms seem to get slated about bugs and problems.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks
Dave.
Map WCE 845.2645
iPhone 4S 3 (Contract)
========
Dave.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really down to personal taste !!! Myself after using a tomtom I considered a Garmin but after looking at it I think I just could not get used to the different format and bought a Tomtom 520.

The new tomtom x30 will be out soon so you can pick up a tomtom 520 for
between £155 -£165 and the tomtom 720 for about £169.

Being a minicab driver what do other drivers use ??? can you borrow one from someone to see if you like it???

Regarding problems I think Tomtom sell more units in Europe than Garmin so there will be more problems and if you do have a problem I am sure somebody on here will be able to help
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember the most popular nav unit brand is TomTom and most users will only mention on a forum when it doesn't work, for every disgruntled user there will be 20, 30 or 40+ others that remain silent and are quite happy as to how their device performs.

As you are familiar with the TomTom brand it is easiest to stick with what you know, operating a different device will take quite some time to get used to.

On cost grounds alone and the fact this is taxi based I would have a look at a TomTom One, although if you have been spoiled by the widescreen of the 510 perhaps the One XL would be more fitting. Neither of the units I suggest have suffered from the same problems with the mount as the x10 units did. Neither device will support hands free for a mobile phone though, if this is important look at the x20 devices or the newer x30 devices that are yet to be released, again these units do not have mount problems but they cost more than the One units.

A final point though shop around, the 720 can be bought for £169, the 520 in the same shop is £179 (go figure, but perhaps they are clearing stock and have more 720's than 520's to sell). This can often be cheaper than the lessor equipped One XL in terms of cost - Mike
fluke9
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
Its really down to personal taste !!! Myself after using a tomtom I considered a Garmin but after looking at it I think I just could not get used to the different format and bought a Tomtom 520.

Being a minicab driver what do other drivers use ??? can you borrow one from someone to see if you like it???

Regarding problems I think Tomtom sell more units in Europe than Garmin so there will be more problems and if you do have a problem I am sure somebody on here will be able to help

Thanks for the quick reply.

Where can you get 720's for that sort of money ???

The other drivers use Tomtoms due to the ease of use.

I love my 510 only real problems have been the windscreen mounts giving up every 6-8 months.
Map WCE 845.2645
iPhone 4S 3 (Contract)
========
Dave.
fluke9
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Just remember the most popular nav unit brand is TomTom and most users will only mention on a forum when it doesn't work, for every disgruntled user there will be 20, 30 or 40+ others that remain silent and are quite happy as to how their device performs.

As you are familiar with the TomTom brand it is easiest to stick with what you know, operating a different device will take quite some time to get used to.

On cost grounds alone and the fact this is taxi based I would have a look at a TomTom One, although if you have been spoiled by the widescreen of the 510 perhaps the One XL would be more fitting. Neither of the units I suggest have suffered from the same problems with the mount as the x10 units did. Neither device will support hands free for a mobile phone though, if this is important look at the x20 devices or the newer x30 devices that are yet to be released, again these units do not have mount problems but they cost more than the One units.

A final point though shop around, the 720 can be bought for £169, the 520 in the same shop is £179 (go figure, but perhaps they are clearing stock and have more 720's than 520's to sell). This can often be cheaper than the lessor equipped One XL in terms of cost - Mike

Thank You.

Very true on your points.
I do need hands free as I work nights only in SE London so getting out of the car and walking through estates is not something we do often, so customers tend to get phoned out.

And I am still interested to know where they are that cheap Very Happy
Map WCE 845.2645
iPhone 4S 3 (Contract)
========
Dave.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluke9 wrote:
john877 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply.

Where can you get 720's for that sort of money ???

The other drivers use Tomtoms due to the ease of use.

I love my 510 only real problems have been the windscreen mounts giving up every 6-8 months.

Comet (reserve online collect in store )Amazon,Dixons online or do a search in Google find sat nav deals
I believe some places do a 2 year warranty on tomtom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: