Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Current 920 European Maps and how to find/install them
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Current 920 European Maps and how to find/install them

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Current 920 European Maps and how to find/install them Reply with quote

I purchased the 920 in December. I now see that I have v 710.1576 maps of Europe.

I just called TT yesterday and they did provide access to the US maps and they updated.

I think that there are newer maps for Europe but I'm not sure. I did change to Europe in TT Home and then asked to check for latest updates. Only a Mapshare offer came up.

How does one go about updating the Europe maps on the 920. (I should add, that during the US update, all of my Europe Maps were erased - thankfully, I had a backup).

Thanks in advance
garcor
Regular Visitor

Location: Nova Scotia & Florida in Winter Go 920 App 8.351 Maps NA 850 & C/W EU 830

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the TT920 as well but I purchased a 4GB SDHD card and put my European map on there and just a couple of weeks ago received European upgrade from Tom-Tom Home. The newest version I have for Europe is 715, and for North America it is 710.1576. I am not sure if there are newer versions or not? Perhaps someone can enlighten me on weather these are the newest versions or not. Confused
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you that the US map has a newer version - that's what I received the other day. So it seems as if I am one version behind for Europe and you may be one version behind for US.

Maybe someone here can provide an idea of what is what.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should now have v715 maps for both Europe and the US.

If you are within the 30 day Latest Map Guarantee period (i.e. if a new map was available when you bought your unit, or one came out within 30 of first using it), then you SHOULD get updates for free.
TomTom originally tried to suggest you only got ONE map update, but they have relented on that, so don't let them fob you off.
TomTom Home has been rubbish at offering these maps to people who should be entitled to them. I suggest you ring the local support number and speak to them direct, rather than e-mailing them.

UK contact number is:
UK Support number is:

0845 161 0009

Monday - Friday: 08:00 to 20:00 GMT
(every first Tuesday of the month: 09:00 to 20:00 GMT)

Afraid I don't know a US number.
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for completeness as for PHONE numbers:

Toll free US:

1-866-486-6866

As for the email dialog, they opened a "ticket" when I called so that I could attach my receipt and replied there but also made me call them back. So I guess another call is in order.

The 920 in the US was sold with ONE year of updates. But they seem to have hedged. Also, they included 720 (yes, SEVEN TWENTY) certificates in 920 boxes confusing the issue more. Some folks have been told since it was a US sale, only US maps were for upgrading. Frankly, I returned a Magellan since Europe maps were not available so my reason for the 920 was that it contained Europe maps so their reasoning is poor in my opinion.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People......

Go to this thread:

http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=7524

and read post #8.
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT says not entitled to Europe update:

"Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support regarding. My name is Shellie and it is my goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience.

We only have North America maps under our guarantee. To update maps of Europe they must be purchase through TomTom Home.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Shellie and The TomTom Customer Support Team"
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fight it.

Lots of people have reported that they have been given updates to all the maps on a 920.
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Fight it.

Lots of people have reported that they have been given updates to all the maps on a 920.

This might be funny if it weren't.

Just a minute ago, I got a Survey from TT on Customer Service. I don't think they will like my replies. I told them that their update policies were poor and poorly documented and that I would not recommend them to friends - that was actually, a separate question - would I recommend!!!!

Oh, well, next week I may call them again. Someone, supposedly from TT, posted on another forum that their policies are suppose to be consistent and that calling for another Rep should not result in a different outcome. We shall see....
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a number of Europe based users have indeed obtained map updates to the Europe maps and the USA ones (with a bit of a e-mail chit/ chat etc. to and from TomTom) so perhaps double standards apply.
Maybe the profit margins in the USA on the devices are less as typically goods cost less their than they do in the UK/ Europe - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: