Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map difference between WE, and W&CE, I have noticed...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map difference between WE, and W&CE, I have noticed...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Map difference between WE, and W&CE, I have noticed... Reply with quote

Just a heads up.

As per my signature strip, I have both Western Europe, v715, and ALSO Western and CENTRAL Europe, v715, but the special 2Gb version of it, for Go 720 devices.

I oft wondered if there was any actual quality difference to the map, given the compression needed to get the W&CE map under 2GB (even though it is not that much smaller in real terms than the normal W&CE v715 - the 'big brother' just tips the scales at 1927MB hence why just too big to fit on a 2GB device).

So using the W&CE 2GB map for the last week or so, it just 'seemed' in general terms, like the 3D view driving map screen seemed more vector based, and blocky, if you follow.

So today I set about to try and prove or disprove this.

And sure enough, as best I can tell, this is the case.

Alas, I don't have two devices to test side by side, admittedly, so the best I could do was find some twisty roads, or roads with a long curving bend to them, and keep swapping between maps, "remembering" the view on the screen between each.

And I have found that on the W&Central Europe 2GB map, roads are made up of less 'segments' than on the Western Europe map alone.

For example, a road near where I live, that bends quite sharp, but long... On W&CE this bend was made up, on the 2D driving view, of two segments, that is, a length, then another diagonal angle off from it.

But on the WE only map, this road in front of me looked much more 'curvy' as it was made up of three separate distinct segments - thus making the bend looking a more natural curve.

The same was reflected for other roads.

Now, my problem is, this is not altogether scientific.

But it is the best I can do with one device, and bear in mind, these tests were made when the vehicle was stationery, in the exact same position.

So it seems that the 3d vector rendering of the W&Central Europe 2GB map, is less, or rather, compressed, compared to the standard Western Europe one.

Just some info, for those also having a choice which one to use...
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you make a folder on your device called "screen" then make an empty file in that called "capture" (no extension), you can make screenshots. You tap in the top-left corner and it makes a shutter noise. Next time you connect to the PC, you will see all the bmps in the screen folder.

Just saying as it would be nice to see your examples. Very Happy

If you give the co-ordinates (OK, not near your home), we can see what it looks like on other maps.

(To make "capture" start making a text file in notepad but, before typing anything, 'Save As...' File name: 'capture' with type: 'All files')
Brodit ProClip mount
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
If you make a folder on your device called "screen" then make an empty file in that called "capture" (no extension), you can make screenshots. You tap in the top-left corner and it makes a shutter noise. Next time you connect to the PC, you will see all the bmps in the screen folder.

Just saying as it would be nice to see your examples. Very Happy

If you give the co-ordinates (OK, not near your home), we can see what it looks like on other maps.

(To make "capture" start making a text file in notepad but, before typing anything, 'Save As...' File name: 'capture' with type: 'All files')

Off to work soon - but given how simple it sounds, would be happy to run it again at one of the sites, and take the screenshots.

Thanks for the info Gerry.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do it every time they bring out new maps, it seems. These are two previous maps on separate devices mounted alongside each other. (They look to be 0.05 miles different, but I was on the turnover of the measurement). Approx 52.317687, -1.551561, I think.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Dennis - that's EXACTLY it... that's what mine was doing (albeit, a different location entirely of course).

On v715 Western Europe, I had the road made up of multiple parts, and thus making for a more smooth curvature.

On v715 Western and CENTRAL Europe 2GB, the road was made up of less segments, just as yours was, and consequently looked much more jerky, and artificial.

Note, in my case these were both "v715" maps - but of different regional types.

But that was the point I was hoping to highlight - that even with two v715's the results are different, given the map area coverage.

Cheers for the screenshots - far better than I could likely have done.

Will happily still try and get some tomorrow if people still want me to though, but Dennis has done a grand job showing what I mean.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: