Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom,garmin user experience
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom,garmin user experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Tomtom,garmin user experience Reply with quote

Hello all

I am tempted to buy a Garmin 760 in preference to a Tomtom 720 despite it being over £70 more .

1 --I wonder if the extra outlay is worth the cost ??

2--- With Tomtom acquiring teleatlas can we expect better mapping in the future from Tomtom as at the moment tomtom maps are not very up to date even after paying for the latest maps are garmin more accurate??

3---- I have a tomtom 700 and I find the directional next turn on the status bar very useful but the garmin does not have this!!but has the next turn direction on the top of the sat nav in writing do any members who have used both garmin and Tomtom miss this feature( I know you can tap the garmin to get a panel with the next turn )

4 ---Tomtom sell more sat navs in Europe than Garmin I would think !!!but is reliability as good as garmin as you seem to hear more faults with tomtom !!! is it really just down to more sales

!! I know the forum gets swamped with requests of which is the best sat nav and it may be a personal choice but you cannot beat user experience

Many thanks for any help or advice anybody could give me
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom,garmin user experience Reply with quote

I swapped from TomTom (Nav 6) to nuvi 660 one yer ago - I will try to relay my impressions

john877 wrote:
Hello all

I am tempted to buy a Garmin 760 in preference to a Tomtom 720 despite it being over £70 more .

1 --I wonder if the extra outlay is worth the cost ??

I think so - although the TomTom GO'shave become less bulky - the GARMIN has excellent build quality.

john877 wrote:

2--- With Tomtom acquiring teleatlas can we expect better mapping in the future from Tomtom as at the moment tomtom maps are not very up to date even after paying for the latest maps are garmin more accurate??

Only if they make the effort. Part of the problem is down to the way TomTom use (or don't use) the information included in the base mapping information.
john877 wrote:

3---- I have a tomtom 700 and I find the directional next turn on the status bar very useful but the garmin does not have this!!but has the next turn direction on the top of the sat nav in writing do any members who have used both garmin and Tomtom miss this feature( I know you can tap the garmin to get a panel with the next turn )

I haven't really missed it all that much - I like the way GARMIN highlights the next turn (white on purple).
john877 wrote:

4 ---Tomtom sell more sat navs in Europe than Garmin I would think !!!but is reliability as good as garmin as you seem to hear more faults with tomtom !!! is it really just down to more sales

Yep - selling more doesn't mean you are the best/most reliable etc. One of the things that persuaded me to get a GARMIN ALL-in-One after being a TomTom user since their first entry into the market, was the trust I have had in my GARMIN handheld GPS units over the years. They have never let me down and the one small problem I had with one unit was fixed within days - excellent customer service.

Go for it! [/quote]
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh

Thank you very much for your reply

The Tomtom 720 in halfords for £175 was just too tempting especially as it would have cost me £40 just to update to the current maps on the Tomtom 700 I have !!but once again thanks for taking the time to reply
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john... I think you've made a good choice, but can I make one suggestion?

If you intend using the "hands-free" phone features at any time in the future, it would be wise to check it all works NOW.

The one major problem with the 720's has been a quite large number have had a fault where the caller at the other end cannot hear you, often accompanied by a loud buzzing.

If you have that problem, take it straight back and get it swapped, as Halfords can be a little "difficult" with returns after a few days. (You would be perfectly within your rights to take it back later, but if a fight can be avoided by checking sooner, it's worth it!)
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Andy P2002 for the tip

No the hands free is not something I would use but when passed onto another member of the family they may use it .
After reading about the "latest map guarantee" saga on the forum I was hoping by now all the niggles would have been sorted out .

Thanks for your reply
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may well have been....
I didn't want to alarm you and I've not heard anyone have the problem who's bought one recently.
Just thought, as you say, it might be something you don't check straight away but might need one day.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My love affair with the Tomtom 720 lasted just 2 days

Yesterday I decided to do any updates on the sat nav that needed doing after reading Andy_P2002 suggestion to check the device over .
After backing up in home first I downloaded the updates only to find the update had corrupted the software ( the dreaded red cross).

After an attempted reset which did not work!! and a restore of the back up which also failed the sat nav was returned to Halfords and I was given the option of a refund or new Tomtom .
I took the refund and will now get the Garmin 760 as reading through the many posts this does not seem like an isolated case

I have used the Tomtom home software before so I do not think you can put it down to a user error
I really liked the Tomtom720 as it had every feature which I wanted so it was disappointing to have to return it
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a little late to say this now, but for the benefit of others,

DO NOT TRUST TOMTOM HOME SOFTWARE

To backup the device, this software is very hit and miss in operation, if the R&D department want to fix something they should start with this flawed PC package.

It doesn't support MAC users in its latest incarnation, neither will work with a PDA correctly, users with a PNA and PDA have to have two versions installed to get updates, users of MACs have to deal with customer support - I won't use it full stop, my reasons are that I simply don't trust it to do anything correctly - Mike
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was aware of the poor reputation Tomtom home has !! but I have used it before for updating maps ,adding voice warning for the speed camera data base ,etc and never had a problem on the old tomtom 700 I had .

Also not being that computer literate I thought it was best to leave it to Tomtom home and if there software messed it all up its down to them .

Thanks for your advise and its a shame that they could not get there act together and spoil a good sat nav with substandard software
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you " mikealder" "Andy_P2002" "philpugh" for all your good advice which i took on board.
I decided to have another go at the Tomtom and picked a Tomtom 520 up from john Lewis for £159 using a £20 discount code which I found .
I did what I was advised to do and backed up in windows rather than home I then put it straight on a high speed Sd card which I had spare .
With the spare card in the GPS the new back up which is on the card is now recognized as another map so its a belts and braces solution.
I connected up to tomtom home and updated to the latest software etc and all went without a hitch this time .
I am waiting a little before I do the latest map guarantee update as the map is 7.05!! as I will see if they release a new map version in the next three weeks .
But once again thanks for everyone's help
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't keep your backup on the SD card, in case it becomes corrupted. Copy it to your PC in case you need to restore it to your device one day
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Robin

I did also keep a copy on the PC as well and I will probably burn it to a disc just in case

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: