Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 520 battery questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 520 battery questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricster2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Go 520 battery questions Reply with quote

Got myself a 520 about 2 weeks ago, but have some questions about the battery life as it seems awfully short

1) How long would you expect the battery to last if I'm using bluetooth? (mine has only lasted about 1hr 45mins...). Would it take a few more charges to fully optimise the battery?

2) If the battery is low, is the light supposed to only stay green? I would've thought it would change red or something like that.

3) If the battery is fully charged, is the green light suppose to stay lit or turn off? (mine currently stays on...so is switching the unit on the only way to check?)

4) And finally, when charging, does it matter whether its one continous charge, or a few short charges? (my trip to work is only about 10 minutes at a time, so can't really charge continously, and the usb charge is so slow!)

Thanks, any help at all is greatly appreciated
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I believe it takes several recharge cycles to get the maximum out of the battery. Bluetooth is one of the things that will increase battery drain.

2-3. The green light only indicates that the Device is connected to an external power source. The only way to check the actual level is to switch the Device on.

4. The Lithium batteries used are very tolerant and when they reach their full potential, can be left on charge continually, or charged in small bursts. Leave it on charge on the PC for as long as the PC is switched on.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd swear I've seen expected battery life somewhere, but I can't find it right now. I seem to recall 2-4 hours depending on what you've got running.

But it did show up TomTom's comments on extending battery life - things like turning the brightness down (so that you can't see it!) and turning the volume down (so that you can't hear it!). I think the way to save battery is to not use it!! Twisted Evil

If you tap bottom right corner of the device, it shows a pseudo battery at the top right with full or otherwise indicated. I have read on this forum that it has been noted to show full until it suddenly runs out!

As I only ever use my devices plugged into the cig lighter socket, battery life is not a problem (wires are, of course).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT quote 4-5 hours life, but admit somewhere that Bluetooth AND FM output reduce it quite a bit. I guess that using the TMC aerial will reduce it as well.

Maybe a few of us should do some proper time trials with various bits switched on or off?

They quote the maximum in the product descriptions on their website (Product / Functionalities / technical specs.).
For the x20 models it is: "Battery lithium-polymer (up to 5 hours operation)" (SEE HERE)

Here's TomTom's suggestions for maximising battery life (pretty much as Dennis says... make it virtually unusable! Laughing )
How can I extend the battery life of my TomTom device?
Infama
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
TT quote 4-5 hours life, but admit somewhere that Bluetooth AND FM output reduce it quite a bit. I guess that using the TMC aerial will reduce it as well.

Maybe a few of us should do some proper time trials with various bits switched on or off?

They quote the maximum in the product descriptions on their website (Product / Functionalities / technical specs.).
For the x20 models it is: "Battery lithium-polymer (up to 5 hours operation)" (SEE HERE)

Here's TomTom's suggestions for maximising battery life (pretty much as Dennis says... make it virtually unusable! Laughing )
How can I extend the battery life of my TomTom device?

Andy, I think DHN did such a thread here a month or so ago and the average was about 3 hours with many power hog functions turned off. Best was about 3.5hours.

Incidentally, the orginal x20s, ie the 520 that went to the FCC for certification has a 1320mA Lithium-ION battery and this later got changed to the 1250mA Lith-Polymer battery we now see in production. it would be intereseting to know if the early 520 and 720 buyers have Li-ION batteries in their units.

FCC pictures if the x20 innards:
https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=800735&native_or_pdf=pdf

Change the 800735 to 33, 34, 36, 37 and 38 to get more cool pictures and documentation.

A poster over at GPSreview.net also posted pictures of recent x20 disassembled!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else sad enough to spot that the instruction manual they submitted to the FCC has pictures of the x10 windscreen mount? Rolling Eyes
Infama
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Anyone else sad enough to spot that the instruction manual they submitted to the FCC has pictures of the x10 windscreen mount? Rolling Eyes

Yup,

saw that too.

LoL
Infama
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures of Go 720 innards...
http://www.gpsreview.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2739
ricster2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. Guess I'll just charge/discharge it a couple of times to see if the battery improves a bit. To be honest I'll probably just end up keeping it plugged into the car....but I hate wires!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: