Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 920t POI download beginner needs help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 920t POI download beginner needs help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soph61
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: TT 920t POI download beginner needs help Reply with quote

Hi
i got TT920 for christmas...lovely, but when i search for say a mountain peak it only gives me one in the area, when i know there are more, and then loads on the continent. same goes for other poi's - i.e. the 'off the shelf' software in this Tom Tom doesn't seem to give as many, nor the closest, POI's in each category (my old original Tom Tom seemed to know where more POis were?!!!)
anyway i wd like to d/l useful(to me) POI's from this site but really need a step by step guide written as tho for a 7 year old....is there anything like that on here? Embarassed
(i did try the following which i found on this site)

"Go to the POI Downloads page which can be found Here and start by selecting the county you want the POI files for

Leave the Sat Nav type box set to TomTom.

Next select the POI files you want from the list, keep your selection down to around 20 at a time

Tick the "Show Link" box next to the download button and press download.

Once you have the download on your PC you need to unzip it to extract the actual files, Windows XP can do this itself, just double click the downloaded file.

Select all the POI files using Windows Explorer, right click and select "Copy" next locate your 920 using Windows Explorer find the USA map folder, right click it and select "Paste" from the pop-up - Mike
[/i]

i got as far as 'find the usa map folder - i found the 'western europe map folder' i think....but i got a pop up saying not enough space - does this mean there is very little space for such things on an off the shelf Tom Tom 920?
many many thanks for any help. thank goodness for this site Cool
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are VERY close to success, just perhaps you got too much downloaded, or you're trying to copy too much. So let's take you through a small one to get it right, then you can try something else on your own. It is not usual to find the 920 too full for a bunch of POIs. Do be aware that you cannot download every POI available - the 920 has a limit to what it can handle.

Here we go then.

Go to the POIs page
In Country Coverage, click United Kingdom, then back higher up, click the Refresh button.
Move down the list of POIs to the one called Landmark and tick the box next to it.
Go down and make sure the little button Separate files per category is "blobbed".
Also click to put a tick in the Show Link button, then click Download.
Click the Download POIs.zip
select Save to disk.

When I did this, I then opened Windows Explorer and went to where my downloads appear. I found an entry 28189_POIs.zip
Double click that, then click on Extract all files.
That will produce a directory (or folder) called 28189_POIs
In that folder are six files ...
Ford_-_Water_Splash.bmp
Ford_-_Water_Splash.ov2
Lighthouse.bmp
Lighthouse.ov2
Windmill.bmp
Windmill.ov2

Click on any one of those files to highlight it, then on the top menu, click Edit, then Select All.
Again on the top menu, click Edit, then Copy.

Still in Windows explorer - Now go to your 920 and click on the Western Europe map folder, to highlight it, then on the top menu click Edit, then Paste.

You should now see those six files inside the map folder.

You've done it.

There should be absolutely NO problem with space - the above files are a mere 70Kb and you've got loads more space than that.

The only other thing you need to do is make the POIs visible on your GO.

You have to Eject the GO from your computer - In TomTom HOme at the top menu, choose Device, Disconnect device. (ALWAYS disconnect the GO from the computer this way).

Now on the GO, tap screen, then tap the right arrow, then tap Browse Map.
Bottom left, tap Options, then tap to put a tick in the Points of Interest box, then bottom left tap POI and make sure you have ticks alongside Water Splash, Lighthouse and Windmill. Tap done and you're done.

That's how it works. Did it work for you?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
soph61
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis
thanks so much for your instructions...i think it worked! Smile
...sorry for the delay in replying i didn't have time, until just now, to follow your intructions....
i hope you don't mind if i get back to you with any more POI probs Question
thanks again
sophie
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll be glad if it has worked. But don't look on me as an expert with POIs - I don't bother with them myself, except for about half a dozen. And my "expertise" is strictly limited to the ones from PocketGPSWorld, because they work in just the same way as the speed cameras - I'm a real whizz at the speed cameras!

If you get more trouble, certainly come back again. If I can't help, or if I don't reply fast enough, there's bound to be somebody else who can.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
soph61
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: from old Tom To to new one! Reply with quote

thank you...

can anyone help me with this?

i've lots of personal 'favourites' on my old Tom Tom whcih were so useful- is there a way to copy them from that to my pc and then to my new 920t ?

thanks in advance
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: from old Tom To to new one! Reply with quote

soph61 wrote:
i've lots of personal 'favourites' on my old Tom Tom whcih were so useful- is there a way to copy them from that to my pc and then to my new 920t ?
I can point you to a Post by AndyP that explains it quite well.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=358875#358875

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: