Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Home - No use
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Home - No use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BreadBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Home - No use Reply with quote

I can't run Tom Tom home on my system - it slows my computer down to such a degree that nothing else works at the same time, and the Home programme is unusable because it takes literally 5 minutes to react to an instruction from me.

My PC isn't the latest, but still has 512mb of DD ram.

I've given up using it. I can make back ups via explorer, and installed the camera database in the same way with Gerry C's icons (many thanks for that - they are superb).

Anyone else had similar problems, or have a way to rectify it? The only reason I think I would need to use Home is for the map updates as I have also made a couple of corrections already.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom Home - No use Reply with quote

BreadBoy wrote:

Anyone else had similar problems, or have a way to rectify it? The only reason I think I would need to use Home is for the map updates as I have also made a couple of corrections already.

If a PC based computer, do you let Windows handle your memory management as far as the pagefile.sys is concerned? And what is your operating system?

(TTHome will steal cpu cycles but it shouldn't slow your machine to a crawl if you have 512 megs of GOOD memory)
BreadBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom Home - No use Reply with quote

dhn wrote:

If a PC based computer, do you let Windows handle your memory management as far as the pagefile.sys is concerned? And what is your operating system?

(TTHome will steal cpu cycles but it shouldn't slow your machine to a crawl if you have 512 megs of GOOD memory)

Not sure what you mean by the first part (I'm no whizz with the techical side of PCs!).

If I do CTRL ALT DEL and get the window up when TomTom Home is running, it uses 99% of the CPU (But as I understand it this is normal because it will use all of the available memory, and it drops to, say, 95% if the PC needs to do something else.

Also not sure what constitutes good memory - never had this problem with any other programme.

In short, I think the TomTom Home application drains my system too much (for whatever reason) meaning it's impossible to use.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BreadBoy

Welcome to the forum.

I'm glad to see you're following rule 1 (backup) and have worked out advisory rule 2 (don't use Home unless absolutely necessary Wink ).

When the problem is happening, is Home trying to do anything at the time eg looking for or downloading updates. Note that it appears to download the latest version of Home first then asks if you want to install it. Confused (You can see if this is happening by checking the bottom right corner of the Home window).

Apart from that, Home (or xulrunner.exe which is part of the system) should not really be using much process time at all.
Brodit ProClip mount
BreadBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
BreadBoy

Welcome to the forum.

I'm glad to see you're following rule 1 (backup) and have worked out advisory rule 2 (don't use Home unless absolutely necessary Wink ).

When the problem is happening, is Home trying to do anything at the time eg looking for or downloading updates. Note that it appears to download the latest version of Home first then asks if you want to install it. Confused (You can see if this is happening by checking the bottom right corner of the Home window).

Apart from that, Home (or xulrunner.exe which is part of the system) should not really be using much process time at all.

Hi Gerry (and thanks for your large icons by the way - fantastic!).

A couple of times it has been searching for updates, which I left it doing for 2 hours once then gave up and closed it.

But normally it just won't do anything, and freezes up. When it does regain conciousness(!) the next command from me sends it into oblivion again.

It's useless. Luckily, I don't really need it. But since I've so far (in 2 weeks) found three map corrections, I wanted to try and install the latest map (if there is one, my TomTom is brand new).

I think I'll leave it as I don't want to give myself a bigger headache if a newer map messes it all up.

What I have, and for what I use it for, is ideal for now. I'm a truck driver and so far it's giving me all I need.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breadboy.......

It almost sounds as if a firewall on your computer is attempting to stop uploads & downloads from/to TomTom home.

Just as an aside......after reading your post regarding the cpu processing percent taken up by your TomTom home, I downloaded, installed and started running the new TT Home software release of today. At no time in all that did task manager show more than 5% for that application.

The figure you're mentioning doesn't seem to make sense (and I onl have 512 megs of memory in a 4 year old pc.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: