Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT V3 and New Tom Tom Home
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT V3 and New Tom Tom Home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eastry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: TT V3 and New Tom Tom Home Reply with quote

I am a reasonably new user of sat Navs and PCs so please forgive me for sounding thick.
For about a year I have been running the old version of TT home with a V2 TT which i had managed to add various POI files and the camera files and sounds (not the TT ones) and to be honest I was pretty happy. However because of a forthcoming French hoilday and the wife needing a Sat Nav I purchased a V3 traffic / europe and in a way I feel it was a mistake.
If anyone has the answers (simplified ) to these problems and niggles I would be indebted.

1 Can you turn off the tips on a V3, god they are a pain

2 Can you add POI files

3 Can you add the customs sounds to work with the TT camera files

or

4 is it better to delate the TT cam files and add the cam files and sounds from this site.

I upgraded to the new version of TT home but it did not seem as good as the orignal one so after much hassle I deted in and reloaded the orginal TT home but:

5 How do you stop it asking you to upgrade to the new one and or stop it starting each time the Pc is started up.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Your site and forum is impressive, pity TT help is not as good all I get is "as quoted in your user agreement"
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first 4 questions are easily answered .... Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes. :smile;

1. Change Preferences and if you go through the Pages you should come across Hide Tips. If you can't see that Option, go to the last page of Change Preferences and Tap Show ALL Menu Options. Then you should be able to see the Tips Option.

2, 3 and 4. If you follow the Links on the FAQs Page, you will be able to add Cameras (and sounds), remove the TT cameras and add POIs (these are the same as camera files, but without the need to set up the Warn When Near).

To stop HOME starting up with the PC, in Preferences, HOME Preferences, there is an Option here for Starting up when Windows Start. Unticking it should stop the auto start.

While you're there untick the first Option and this will stop HOME from looking for updates automatically.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
eastry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks oldboy.. But on the TT One Ver 3 no option seems to exist for turning off tips, this has been confirmed by the TT help desk,, I know it is a option on Ver 2 as I have one of those as well for the wife,

Im using TT home Ver 1.2 and no option is in the preferances, it only gives 2 options

Check for update when Im logges on and my TT device is connected

and

show start screen at startup

I wil tick the first one

Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bite the bullet and go back to Home 2.1

Various things no longer work properly with Home v1 (map downloads and Mapshare corrections certainly)

If you have got a "sounds" folder on your TT, you can put sound files in there and they will then show up on the sound effects page. Therefore you can use them for the TT camera data or the better PGPSW data.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eastry wrote:
Im using TT home Ver 1.2 and no option is in the preferances,
I assumed that having a Third Edition you would have HOME 2. As Andy says use it and you have a few more Options, including being able to get the latest Updates, if needed.

If you don't want to do that, then you need to tinker with the PC. Select Start | Run and type in msconfig and Enter.

In the Window that opens Select the Startup Tab. One of the Entries in there will point to HOME. I can't remember the full name as it's been a long time. Wink

Just Untick the entry and reboot the PC.

I was informed last night that Show Tips was a part of Change Preferences you can't get at. Embarassed

You will need to create a Custom Menu and include the Show Tips function in that. www.gregoryduncan.com/ttmd

You can remove the Custom Menu when you've finished.

But it is most important to do a Full Explorer Backup before you do anything else.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
eastry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks guys.

I will go back to TT home 2.

It just didn't seem as flexible and didn't show my previous back ups.

I have had a TT V2 for a year and was begining to regret getting a new V3 and letting the wife have the old one

I'm not a expert on either the Pc or the TT so any help and tips is very much appreciated, Im sure I will need it
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best tip I can suggest is to not use Home for your backups.
See the FAQs #1 HERE

In fact, even though it was me who suggested going back to Home v2, I will also say, use it as little as possible!

For adding POIs, camera data, backups etc. use Windows normal copy and paste routines. It's much easier once you have the hang of it, and you get a much better understanding of how it all works.

If you've got any specific tasks you need guidance for, just ask again.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: