Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Warning - broken speed camera alerts with new Nuvi firmware
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Warning - broken speed camera alerts with new Nuvi firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Warning - broken speed camera alerts with new Nuvi firmware Reply with quote

Garmin have recently released an update to their Nuvi 310 and 360 range, the v4.40 software. Now, this has a couple of useful fixes in it from the previous firmware, so many people may be inclined to upgrade. However, I think I have found an issue with this firmware, which I want to advise people of before they upgrade. I use mp3 speed camera warnings (which may play a part in this problem)

Firstly, this upgrade seems to bring with it a bug seen in the latest 660 firmware - whenever a speed alert is played, if you have an mp3 file playing, it jumps to the next song, instead of pausing, and returning to where you were. This, in itself, is a nuisance, but not the end of the world.

However, after driving along wondering why my unit was constantly moving to the next song, I figured it out....

If you are playing mp3 music, and you are approaching a speed camera (using the PGPSW database), instead of changing the screen to have a red banner and playing the warning, it FAILS to play the warning; although it updates the screen and displays the correct text, no mp3 warning file is played - it simply skips to the start of the next song.

Having turned off the music, the unit, without a reboot, started playing the mp3 warning sounds fine.

So, this means (in my opinion), I have a choice - I either have no music via the unit, or I will downgrade to v4.30, and I advise others to consider the same choices.

Of course, for those who don't play music via their Nuvi, everything will be well.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Warning - broken speed camera alerts with new Nuvi firmw Reply with quote

swing wrote:
So, this means (in my opinion), I have a choice - I either have no music via the unit, or I will downgrade to v4.30, and I advise others to consider the same choices.

Maybe V3.90 is a better bet - V4.30 had the "Detour" button bug - whereby you couldn't get back to the menu after you'd pressed it.
madhatter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had the same issue with the latest 660fm firmware. solution= convert mp3 voice speed warning files to wav and load using older version of poi loader. Solved problem of tracks skipping whilst listening to mp3's etc. Garmin are aware of this and told me to do this.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madhatter wrote:
had the same issue with the latest 660fm firmware. solution= convert mp3 voice speed warning files to wav and load using older version of poi loader. Solved problem of tracks skipping whilst listening to mp3's etc. Garmin are aware of this and told me to do this.
Ah - that's nice to know, although I only moved away from WAV files to MP3 files a month or two back - gah! Thankfully as well as saving the installer, I also saved a copy of the WAV files Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: