Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Format
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Format

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrwc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: POI Format Reply with quote

I'm wondering how some businesses are able to put their phone numbers on the POI screen. I began to wonder about this when I saw that Travel Lodge put the phone number of every hotel into their data base whereas Premier Inn did not. (Seems a fairly basic requirement when one is driving round looking for a hotel with vacancies.)

I examined both POI files by using POI Format to create an Excel file for each but don't see where the additional information belongs. If I knew this I could add phone numbers to data bases I create myself.

Thanks for any advice.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a TomTom, the easiest answer is to create your own POI file, then add some dummy POIs, you will be prompted to add a phone number, enter a dummy number and save.

If you then convert the resulting .ov2 file to .csv (our very own Richard Davies is the author of the excellent POIConverter) you can then see the format required in a .csv file.

The actual format is:

Latitude, Longitude, Name,"01234123456"

i.e.
Code:
-3.93381,51.68235,Morriston Hospital,"+01792 702222"

jrwc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I find the format Latitude, Longitude, Name [greater than sign] 012345678 for the file I opened. I have also found that Longitude and Latitude the other way round seems to work. (Must admit that csv format and Excel files in xlm format seem to be different, but csv opens in Excel by default for me.)

Also wondering what determines that the POI titles on TT are in upper case; I've put the file name in upper case but the resulting POI category displayed on TT are in lower case

Any observations on that.
jrwc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, also realized that you said "the easiest answer is to create your own POI file, then add some dummy POIs, you will be prompted to add a phone number". What program are you referring to for creating POI files - I've been using Excel.

Thanks again.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to creating a dummy POI set on your TomTom device.

The example I posted was extracted from a TomTom POI File.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrwc wrote:
Also wondering what determines that the POI titles on TT are in upper case; I've put the file name in upper case but the resulting POI category displayed on TT are in lower case

If the file name has an initial capital eg "Halfords" it appears as such. If it's either all capitals or all lower case, it appears in all lower case so "KFC" appears as "kfc".

The different ways to show phone numbers is probably due to the converter being used to decode the ov2 file to ascii and vice versa. As long as you follow the "rules" of the converter, different formats may be needed.
Brodit ProClip mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: