Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketGPS or TomTom Camera Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketGPS or TomTom Camera Database
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maverick34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: PocketGPS or TomTom Camera Database Reply with quote

Bit of a cheeky question, especially since it's my first port, but having just bought a Tom-tom 920T I want to get the best database.

I see with the Tom-Tom I can subscribe to their camera database which probably has the advantage it will download/install automatically whereas this sites one will be more manual.

Does anyone have any views on whether there's much difference between Tom-Tom's and PocketGPSworld's database.

Thanks in advance.

Maverick34
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, obviously users of this forum will be biased to the database from this site, but with good reason to be.

Quite a few of us have tried the TT offering and irrespective of the location it has been proven to be less accurate than the one from this site. The last time I tried it for a 7 mile journey if got at least 5 fixed camera locations wrong, the PGPSW offering was spot on.

Couple the above with regular updates which are verified in person by trusted members of this site the data is as good as you can get, put the free spoken alerts on your new toy in addition to the speed camera database and it will even tell you the type of camera and applicable speed limit, oh and don't forget the database from this site contains known mobile locations and doesn't require a data connection from your mobile phone to receive mobile cameras - Mike
maverick34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
Thanks for the quick reply.

Ok you've sold me on the the PocketGPSworld database, I'll give it a go.

You are correct that I didn't expect anyone to diss the one on here to much but wanted to see what peoples views were.

Regards
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and the one thing I missed from the above post, if you find and report a camera that is NOT in the PGPSW database then you will qualify for a free lifetime membership once the location is verfied, remember you must be a paid up subscribed member for this to work though.

I am sure more people will join in to explain the accuracy of the Speed Camera Database etc, once you join should you have any problems installing or configuring the files for use on the device please don't hesitate to shout, someone will soon be along to answer your questions - Mike
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason i prefer this site is that not only are the Cameras more accurate i was also having problems with my TomTom and the help from this site was unbelievable. Within a few hours it was sorted while TomTom are taking 48 hrs for a reply, even their answers were about something else. Then i noticed about the free POI's you also get and to be honest the price they are asking for subscription it was a bit hard to say no. I suppose if i am being biased it is only because of the experience i had with PGPS and TomTom.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike forgot the magic words (for once)...
Backup, Backup, Backup

USING WINDOWS EXPLORER rather than TomTom Home.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad, in less than an hour, gentlemen. Clap

Mr_Hat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to ask the same question as the op (tomtom or pocketgps camera's), but thanks to your replies am going to opt for the pocketgps version...one question though, do I need to disable the safety camera alerts on my tomtom one V3 device or will the ones from pocketgps just overwrite the appropriate files? Don't want to potentially have 2 warnings for the same camera!!
(Sorry to be sounding a bit dumb!)
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to disable them, or even remove them, or you will get duplicate warnings at some locations.

If you have a look at the FAQs Page it will give you Links on how to care for your TT.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, in order to remove the TomTom warnings I would follow the instructions on the FAQ page #13 details this very case, the FAQ page can be located Here - while you are there take time to read some of the other links, the back up and spoken alerts are both well worth reading BEFORE you start to configure the device.
It might all seem a bit much at first, but given time you will soon become familiar with the process, I can't quite do a full install and configuration with my eyes shut (yet) but typically it only takes 5 mins for a Speed Zoned installation - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PocketGPSWorld cameras will NOT overwrite the TomTom ones. They are a different format. I'm not sure about the ONE v3, but on my device, you can put a stop to the TT free issue ones by selecting PLUS Services ... Safety Cameras ... Disable Alerts.

Try it and see if those choices are there. If it's wrong, probably somebody else will be along shortly who can tell you how. But in the meantime, it won't harm too much having both sets on the device - ours are better and the warning sounds are too. The default TT ones are a bit wimpy.

If you haven't already been there, our TomTom GO/Rider/ONE FAQs are well recommended reading (GROAN - all my fans who know I don't ever RTFM will never forgive me for that). Number 1, backing up using Windows Explorer, will be the best day's job you'll do, especially if you remember to do it again and again periodically. DO IT NOW!

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curse you Mike - that's not fair, you can type faster than I. Gimme a break some time!!

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Richard is even quicker Rolling Eyes - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn this Broadband service! - I never even got a notification of his post, only yours, so I didn't see he'd already been there. I suppose Andy's taken his family out for the evening or he'd have been in there too. Right, I'll start staying up all night to pick up the cries from Tahiti Time zone, or Oz or somewhere where you're all asleep. And I was so proud of my effort too. I mean, artistic link and all, not just that mundane red FAQ thing. Anyway, your #13 shows Home pre 2.1.2.121, so there! Twisted Evil

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Anyway, your #13 shows Home pre 2.1.2.121, so there! Twisted Evil
This is in op as we speak, but I need to play with a couple of units to make sure I have got it right, and combined with the learning curve (I don't use Home unless I really have to) - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: