Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie with Streetpilot i3.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie with Streetpilot i3.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bratt1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Newbie with Streetpilot i3. Reply with quote

Just bought one on ebay but it didn`t come in the box, has no manual, software or a battery cover. It has Version 3.40 software and Audio 2.30. I have been unable to register with Garmin as I don`t have the reg numbers. The unit works but I want to get camera updates etc. Can you instruct me on how to get the most from the unit.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

An i3 manual is avalible here

To get camera updates you'll need to subscribe here

You'll need POILoader from Garmin which is here along with all the other i3 software.

Finally full instructions for loading the Safety Cameras are here

Any problems -ask.
bratt1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PaulB2005 for your reply. I have only had this a couple of days and am finding my way with it. There is no mention of safety cameras on the settings. Does this appear when the camera data has been downloaded? Is there somewhere that I can get a battery cover for it and the software disc without going thru Garmin because I am having problems registering it with them because it didn`t come in the box with the reg number and the unlock code on it.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is no mention of safety cameras on the settings. Does this appear when the camera data has been downloaded?

They will appear under Where to?, Food, Hotels and more, Custom Points. They will have a proximity alert set to the trigger speed of the camera. If you are over the limit as you approach a camera it'll give you an alert and on screen warning. All the configuring is done with POILoader. There are a couple of apps made by another user called Ash10 which can further customise the Safety Camera alerts, but i'd get used to the basics first.

Quote:
Is there somewhere that I can get a battery cover for it

eBay or Garmin are you best bet.

Quote:
the software disc

The software disc only contains out of date versions of the software in the links i gave above.

Quote:
I am having problems registering it with them because it didn`t come in the box with the reg number and the unlock code on it.

To be honest the i3 is no longer supported so I'm not sure it's worth trying to register it. Also it might be difficult if the previous owener has already registered it. If you do then you need the Serial Number not the unlock code. The unlock code is only for the maps you already have installed. When you need to buy a new map you need the Serial Number which is inside the battery compartment, then they'll sell you an unlock code for the new maps. See here
bratt1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have entered the serial number but get "No avaliable updates found" so I presume that the latest maps are already installed on the unit. I noticed also that you are operating 3.40 Firmware which is also on the unit so am I right in assuming that this is the latest version. You gave me a link earlier to the software upgrades but which one would you recommend I use?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have entered the serial number but get "No avaliable updates found" so I presume that the latest maps are already installed on the unit.

I get the same. I am running v8 maps, v9 maps have been withdrawn as the v10 maps are due out shortly.

Check your maps - Settings, Map, MapSource

Quote:
I noticed also that you are operating 3.40 Firmware which is also on the unit so am I right in assuming that this is the latest version.

Yes

Quote:
You gave me a link earlier to the software upgrades but which one would you recommend I use?

Well they only give the latest versions of all the software. If 3.4 works for you then stick with it.
bratt1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MapSource shows City Navigator Europe NT+ V8. So am I operating the same systems as you ?
Thanks for your help tonight mate. I was beginning to think I had bought a right duffer but it sounds better by the minute.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MapSource shows City Navigator Europe NT+ V8

Snap then.

It's a good unit but the missing Battery Door is a bit of a pain....
bratt1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will take the issue of the battery door up with Garmin at the earliest convenience - tomorrow if they are working!! Does the unit inform you of congested motorways and roads as I have a long trip in a few days time using the M6 and don`t want to be stuck on it longer than I have to? Or is this where TMC is required!!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does the unit inform you of congested motorways and roads as I have a long trip in a few days time using the M6 and don`t want to be stuck on it longer than I have to?

Sadly no, but if you read around the system doesn't seem to be all that it's cracked up to be.

Persoanlly i still use this site before i go and the FM-RDS on my CD player on route.
bratt1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke to a chap at Garmin this morning about the battery door. They do not supply them but he is hopeful of finding one and forwarding it free of charge within a couple of weeks. What a Gent!! Thanks for the links mate. Merry Christmas to you all.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: