Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Compaq iNS vs CoPilot Query
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Compaq iNS vs CoPilot Query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kucen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Compaq iNS vs CoPilot Query Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am a GPS newbie, I am in research mode looking to buy my first piece of kit. One thing (one of many) that is confusing me at the moment concerns Compaq iNS and CoPilot.

According to the teamwarrior site, an iNS package comprises a GPS Receiver, a CF card, a power adapter, a cradle and 30 days free subscription to Livewire. I have read that the iNS uses the CoPilot S/W so I have been comparing the prices of iNS packages to CoPilot bundles also comprising Receiver, card, apdapter and mount. The iNS is always a lot more expensive.

What does the iNS package offer that a CoPilot package doesn't? Or is the 30 days "free" subscription really that expensive? Confused

Regards

KUCEN
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different CoPilot and iNS bundles and packages available in Europe and the US. Where are you located and can you add that info to your profile? The Livewire service is approx £6 per month here in the UK.
kucen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so maybe I should have been a bit more specific but being a lazy sod I was trying to avoid the extra typing :D

I realise there are many different packages but I have been trying to compare what I think are like for like packages:

Take for example a Bluetooth system from www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk:
1) CoPilot Live Pocket PC 4 UK / Bluetooth GPS QuickStart is £325, add a mount and adapter at say £35 and the total is £360

2) iPAQ Navigation System 3 - Bluetooth is £449

So what is the difference? Is the iNS receiver so much better or what?

TIA

KUCEN
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, This appears to be a simple case of HP charging a premium for their Brand name. The HP iNS software is almost certainly CoPilot Live! and the receiver appears to be an Emtac BT GPS (strangely, in the US HP use the GlobalSat BT GPS).

HP did the same with their V1 and V2 iNS systems although when v1 was released in the UK, CoPilot was not available over here.

Unless you really want HP's logo on the software and hardware I'd go with CoPilot. With the money you save you could pay for a years susbcription to LiveWire.

Of course this totally overlooks the most important question, is CoPilot/HP iNS the best package for you! Have you looked at the alternatives yet?
kucen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren, that's confirmed what I thought - I just wanted to check I wasn't missing something.

As far so alternatives are concerned, I have been reading all the comments and reviews on Tom Tom, Navman and others. Tom Tom and Navman seem to be the most popular but the more detailed voice instructions from CoPilot are pushing me in that direction. However, I've made no decision as yet and am in no rush to do so - perhaps I'll wait for Tom Tom 3 and see what that has to offer.

Regards

KUCEN
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One point on the voice instructions in CoPilot, you have the option at install of standard .wav files or TTS (Text To Speech). If you are considering CP because of the TTS then you really should hear it first as it is not to everyones taste.

You may have noticed that we are hoping to have a PPGPS Meet at a Pub in North Hampshire on one Sunday late March (no dates confirmed yet) so why not come along and see them all first hand Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: