Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fatest Route v's Limited Speed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fatest Route v's Limited Speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Fatest Route v's Limited Speed Reply with quote

What speeds are used by my TT One when calculating a journey on motorways, dual carriageways, A roads, B roads

The reason I ask is I was planning a route I will be travelling in a couple of weekends from now with a 7.5 ton lorry, I normally use the limited speed option to get a more acurate journey time as the route my TT One would normally be about the same.

But on this journey I am in a not sure which route to take naturally travelling by motorway or dual carriageway is always preferable but I would normally cruise along these flatter road between 50-60mph but on some of the more twisty A-roads we have up here in scotland I can only really average about 40-45mph at times hence my dilema below;

Fastest route: 2hr 10 mins 95 miles most dual-carriageway but a fairly long stretch of A-road probably lets say 12 miles of unknown and probably hilly twisty road.

or

Limited speed set at either 45-50mph: 2hrs 12mins 85miles at the point the road splits into a more direct route to the destination it a primary A-road but most of the time I would average about 45mph I would guess but then I still have about 15 miles of unfamiliar A-road before turning to take a further 12 miles of different A-road that of used in the fatest route to arrive at my destination in another direction to the route above.

There lies my dilema, using TomTom in a 7.5 ton is less than ideal but I use the lorry for my hobby and can't justify the expense for a more fully commercially suitable sat-nav, its a pity that you can't setup profiles of vehicles and road type preferences that I used to be able to do with "Auto Route Express" software on my PC.

Anyway can anybody answer the question what speed setting does TomTom One use when calculating a journey on motorways, dual carriageways, A roads, B roads etc.?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done any experiments lately, but in earlier versions Motorways and de-restricted dual carriageways seem to be 62 mph.

A roads with a 60 limit seemed to be 52 mph, and down to back roads at 27 mph.

Whether this has been 'adjusted' in the latest software I haven't had a chance to check.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you "oldboy" yip that kinda matched what my best guess was around those sort of limits, it a pity the tomtom one doesn't have some sort of user defined profiles in addition to the existing choices of travel that we could select in the same menu as fastest, shortest, walking , bicycle etc., where we could set our own prefered speeds to match our own driving styles to allow more accurate times for journeys and road preferencies as well so we could personalise out TomTom's more.

I believe on some of the other TT units you can tweak a file somwhere relative to route choice but I dont think its possible with the TT One v2
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autoroute has recently moved away from this - I can no longer choose a speed for each different type of road, merely drag a slider up or down from "average" to more or less than "average" (it doesn't tell you what the average is!!). The shame is that choosing TT's Fastest, shortest, limited speed or any other type is not satisfactory. I was surprised to find this customisation not available on my satnav.

Personally I have found from trying recently, that TT seems to work out at an average overall journey of about 60mph. That's just rule of thumb though and I myself generally use 50mph as a guide for my trips, but varied according to my personal estimate of how much decent motorway/dual. For London, I just say I'll get there when I can - I left at 5:30am one day last week, due to deliver before 9:30 and originally TomTom gave me an ETA of 7:35 - I got there at 9:10!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a view demo method only, it appears that the tt1 3rd edition has the following limits set

estates and housing areas - 19mph used for calculations
30mph zone - 36mph used for calculations, yes it does say 36!!
40mph zone - 40mph used for calculations
50mph zone - 49mph used for calculations
60mph zone - 55mph used for calculations
70mph zone - 69mph used for calculations
Motorway @ 70mph - 69mph used for calculations

Hope this helps

iPhone 12
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray-of-Sunshine wrote:

I believe on some of the other TT units you can tweak a file somwhere relative to route choice but I dont think its possible with the TT One v2

Very early versions of the Navigator software used to have user adjustable sliders, but none of the stand-alone units have ever had it. A tweak has never been mentioned on any of the websites or forums I know of, but if there is one, EVERYBODY would like to hear about it.
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Using a view demo method only, it appears that the tt1 3rd edition has the following limits set

estates and housing areas - 19mph used for calculations
30mph zone - 36mph used for calculations, yes it does say 36!!
40mph zone - 40mph used for calculations
50mph zone - 49mph used for calculations
60mph zone - 55mph used for calculations
70mph zone - 69mph used for calculations
Motorway @ 70mph - 69mph used for calculations

Hope this helps

Your a genius "falkirk81" why didn't I think of doing that, now I know I'm thick as mince.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i hate to brag, but its the first thing that came to mind. Although i dont understand why in a 30mph limit the speed it 36mph??

iPhone 12
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Ray-of-Sunshine wrote:

Very early versions of the Navigator software used to have user adjustable sliders, but none of the stand-alone units have ever had it. A tweak has never been mentioned on any of the websites or forums I know of, but if there is one, EVERYBODY would like to hear about it.

Yip my mistake it was older units like navigator and TT3 also had options to set speed settings, as far as routings to avoid small roads for hgv's appartantly the tip is co pilot 6 has a Motorhome feature where you can tell it what kind of roads to avoid such as small roads and no u-turns etc.

But appartanly both navteQ and teleatlas have produced hgv routeing and data in to the map data they supply to tomtom and other suppliers but as yet know one has taken up the data. Weird if true as there would be a big market for that as you would expect the price would be reasonable even the touring caravan market could find that very usefull indeed
Pufin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, as a taxi driver I use my tt500 to work out how long it would take to go from the base to a customers for a booked time. Anything more then a few miles away, the tt can be wildly out. I mean I often or not get there way too early. As most of my work is done in the early hours (no traffic). I can say that I have driven to a location at 20 to 25mph on 30 / 40mph roads, and still been early. So I would have to say that Time/Speed factors are set higher then they need be. And before anyone says that these are "more" than ideal traffic conditions, I still get simular times in peak traffic conditions.

Two TomTom 500's
App 7.161 GPS v1.21 Boot 4.8600 Map Western_Europe_1GB v710.1561
Installed on 2gig sd cards.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always found the arrival time about right!

I drive at warp licence losing speed most of the time, and yet the arrival times are always about right.

Most of my journeys are in excess of 25 miles. Laughing
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Well i hate to brag, but its the first thing that came to mind. Although i dont understand why in a 30mph limit the speed it 36mph??

Did a few tests last night and if the speed limit is known to be 30 then TT will sit at 30 but if the speed limit is unkown by TT it will sit at 36 even though we know the road to be a 30 limit. I can only presume TT takes an average of between 30-40 as it knows it a residential area from the map even though the speed limit is unknown
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
I have always found the arrival time about right!

I drive at warp licence losing speed most of the time, and yet the arrival times are always about right.

Most of my journeys are in excess of 25 miles. Laughing

By arrival time, you do mean you entered an arrival time when you planned the route and that on the display there is an area showing how many minutes you will arrive before or after the set arrive time. an I works out fine, well thats good but if you mean the arrive clock showing what time your actually going to arrive bear in mind that automatically adjusts itself so it will always be there or there abouts the closer you get to your destination.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not convinced that TomTom does use the demo speeds for calculation of ETA. If I am driving when the roads are very quiet, and able to maintain a steady speed of 30mph, I gain on TomTom and my ETA keeps getting earlier. On motorways at a steady 70 I just about keep up with the ETA, and it hardly changes. On single carriageway A roads, at an average of about 50 I am gaining rapidly on the ETA, and over about 50 miles from Abergavenny to Swansea on the A465 I can bring the ETA forward by about 20 minutes. TomTom always tries to take me the much longer way via the A449 and M4, because it is convinced that the journey time is shorter, but it greatly overestimates the A465 time.
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been 2 Threads on this Topic.

One earlier this year, and Another last year.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: