Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Flashing red x unit not working
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Flashing red x unit not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Flashing red x unit not working Reply with quote

I got the Go 720 yesterday and it worked fine, this morning a flashing red x showed on screen after starting the unit and it wouldn't open past that screen. I tried going to a back up on TT home but the progress bar did not show any activity and then quickly dissapeared. I tried resetting it and had no luck.

Alex
Paul80
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC the red x indicates a disk failure
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you put an SD card into the unit since this started? - if so please remove it and start the device, does it work as expected without the card - Mike
Alex123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disk failure...I'm glad that I returned it. It came fully loaded so no I didn't put in an SD card. I only used it one day can't imagine why I would get disk failure. I'm new to this board does this sound at all familiar? I'm wondering if maybe I just got a lemon or an early production model that had this problem...is there anyway to know from the serial number around when it came off the assembly line?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading Darren's post in this topic about adding items to the 'Help Me!' menu I decided to bite the bullet and update both Home and the 720 software.

But DennisN, after complaining that my device works, seems to have put a jinx on me, and when I try to disconnect using either Home or My Computer I'm getting the dreaded flashing red x! Sad

Every time I connect to Home ('About TomTom Home' shows it as Home 2.1.1.106) it says I need to 'Download the latest version of the application for your device' (version 7.020), which I allow it to do, but it comes up again next time I connect.

I've removed the SD card and reset the device to no avail.

Has anyone got any suggestions, other than copying the backup to the device? If not, am I right in saying that, usingWindows Explorer, I need to delete all files and folders from the device, then copy back the backup files and folders?

And, as it seems I am the typical 'girlie' I'm accused of being, has anyone got a hand I can hold while I'm doing it?
Samsung Galaxy S21
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update to my post above.

When I got the flashing red cross after disconnecting from Home I was switching the device off before removing it from the dock. I then decided things couldn't get any worse, so removed it without switching it off first, and it now appears to be working normally, running software version 7.020.

Panic over - for the moment!!
Samsung Galaxy S21
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the reply I received from TomTom tonight re the flashing red cross issue:

In order to resolve your red cross issue, you would need to reinstall the TomTom application.
Please connect your TomTom to the computer and turn it on. Select "yes" when it prompts you on connecting to the computer.
Then, try the following steps:

1. Go to page 2 of 2. click on "Remove items from my device" select the application and delete it.
2. Go to page 1 of 2 and click “Update my device” this will download and reinstall the TomTom application
3. Click “Disconnect my device” turn your TomTom off, and remove it from the docking station.
4. Press and hold the reset button for 20 seconds
5. Turn your TomTom on and allow it to load up.

If this does not restore your please inform us that we may further assist you.

Would it be possible for a mod to correct the typo in the subject of this thread. Anyone using the search facility for a possible solution to the problem won't find the thread.
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Would it be possible for a mod to correct the typo in the subject of this thread. Anyone using the search facility for a possible solution to the problem won't find the thread.
Happy to oblige Anita - even though it looks like your posting mention of me has cast the jinx on my GO720 number 5 - the hands free did the morse code today!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dennis.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with No 5. I'm glad I don't need to use the hands free, as that seems to be where so many of the problems lie. Of course for you, relying on it for your business, it's a major issue. Hopefully the morse code problem won't occur again, but it must leave you with little confidence in the device.

Good luck!
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's a strange relationship perhaps, Anita. I've been using TT GO for two and a half years now and my first experience was really positive - Vera remains amazed that I've found something I approve of for a change. I still "meet" the original GO300 every week (bought off me by my mate and it's NEVER EVER gone wrong). Ever since the first one, I've trusted them strongly. At long last, a couple of weeks ago, I took out of my van the crate full of A-Zs I've continued to carry, but not used, for this last 2 1/2 years. The only times I get worried about the reliability is when I'm in London and the satellite signal gets dodgy - seeing the screen start to twist and turn makes my stomach drop - it's just not possible to do much when you're in heavy traffic and the TT starts recalculating because it's lost track of where it's at. I feel more confident when I've got two of them running, so there's a chance one won't start doing somersaults, but the GO710 has gone to the mending shop and I'm quietly panicking until it gets back - they said about two weeks. Yesterday I intended (but forgot, with getting up at 4:30am) to put the crate of maps back in and worried all the way into London that I'd suffer for the forgetfulness. I was hugely disappointed that I couldn't get one of the 500/700s going cheap (£34.99) in Halfords - I went into 9 branches enquiring. At that price, I'd have happily bought at least one, if not two - then I could pretend to be Darren or Mike with a van full of kit!! Very Happy I have secretly entered the October competition and when I win it, I'll offer to swap it for yours.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I was hugely disappointed that I couldn't get one of the 500/700s going cheap (£34.99) in Halfords - I went into 9 branches enquiring. At that price, I'd have happily bought at least one, if not two - then I could pretend to be Darren or Mike with a van full of kit!! Very Happy

I tried my local branches to get one for my future daughter-in-law, so she doesn't have to fight my son for his when she's going into unknown territory. No success, of course. Sad

DennisN wrote:
I have secretly entered the October competition and when I win it, I'll offer to swap it for yours.

Mmm - don't know about that. ViaMichelin's customer support seems pretty good, but I don't think I could face getting to grips with another new system. And I haven't checked out the hands free on my 720 - it could be worse than yours!

Hope you get both your devices working satisfactorily soon.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: