Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTGo Frozen screen
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTGo Frozen screen
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: TTGo Frozen screen Reply with quote

I have a TT Go which has suddenly decided to freeze. The screen when switched on shows a back view of a tt with a lead coming out of the back. I cannot turn this off with the on/off switch and can only get rid of it by using the reset button underneath. On next switching on it does the same thing. Anyone any ideas how to solve this problem. Thanks
RichardM
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a Backup that you can Restore the Software from?

Can you remember which Software Version you are using?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. No I can't remember the software version that I have. I think I last updated in June this year. I did manage to find some other replies on the forum which suggested backing up the card data and then reformatting it. I did this but when I came to restore the back up nothing happened. All I got was the hour glass symbol showing but nothing appeared in the progress bar. How long should this take and does the progress bar show straight away or only after a certain amount has been restored?
RichardM
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you do the Backup/Restore? Not HOME I hope.

You say that you got an hour glass. Was this on the PC or the GO? Which GO, and which Map, do/did you have?

The software is easy, to replace. The Maps are another thing.

V6.52 software you can download here - http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/oldboy/TomTomUpdates/ttgoupg652.zip

It's just a Copy/Paste with Explorer to get the unzipped Files on to the GO.

Depending on which Map you were using, and which method you used for Backup, we can check whether you have a fully functioning Map.

RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back up was done using Home, obviously not what I should have done. What's wrong with Home?
The hour glass appears on the computer screen when I use Home to restore the back up. It appears any time the cursor is placed over the progress box, but nothing appears in the progress box.
The TT is the Go Original with GB maps only, and I think there is a copy of everything which was backed up on to the computer before Home existed. The maps etc were copied to a bigger 512mb card so that I could use the camera database.
I have copied a photo and a word doc to this card and I can view both on the card so it would appear that the card is OK and it is something wrong with the TT. Hope that helps
Thanks
RichardM
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardM wrote:
What's wrong with Home?
The answer will depend on who answers the question. Smile I only use it for updates so have been untroubled, so far.

Do a Search of your hard drive, for a file called 'ttsystem', and note down the Folder location. This is one of the software files for the GO, and if you did a pre-HOME backup, at least you could restore from that.

If you have more than one, then you have probably backed up more than once. Use the later dated one.

Check that there is a Map Folder of at about 100MB (GB only) or 200MB (GB Plus) in V5.

RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found two back ups I did with Home one in Oct and one in June Both about 123-125mb with approx 170 files and 5 folders. I have also found two others both dated in Feb which are 243-253 mb with 138 files 9 folders or 302 files 10 folders. I could copy / paste any of these but I am not sure why the file sizes are so different.
What do you think?
RichardM
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you updated the Map at any time?

From your Backup lists, it would seem the smaller are the correct ones. With all those additional Folders it looks as if something else has been copied there.

The Map Folder in the Jun/Oct Backups. Is it called Great_Britain, or something similar? Is it about 100MB?

RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Oct back up has a file GB maps 101mb 64 files. I have not downloaded anything other than free upgrades from TomTom with the latest software versions.
RichardM
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're nearly there. It seems you have the GB Map with quite a few POIs.

First make sure the battery is fully charged, or connected to a power supply.

Then connect up to the PC and when HOME starts up, close it down. Open Windows Explorer.

To save having to copy everything over, just copy the main files in the Backup Folder that you found, to the Root of the GO. They'll have names like 'system' and 'ttsystem'. 5 Files plus possibly any voice files.

At this stage safely remove the GO, either by Right Clicking the Drive and using Eject, or the Safely Remove Icon in the Sys Tray.

We want to see how far it gets with the Boot up this time. If it goes all the way to the navigation screen, we're in luck.

If it comes back with no Maps installed, then you also need to copy the Map to the GO.

If it still won't Boot up then we need to Format the SD Card and go through the process again.

Get that far and we can re-assess the situation. Smile

RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all the POIs are the speed cameras along with distance to warnings at each speed. As I mentioned before the SD card has been reformatted and will accept both a trial word doc and and a photo. So I think the card is OK. My feeling is that it is the Go that is faulty as it opens and sticks on the same picture of the back of a TT with a cable coming out the back. I have to use the pin to reset it as turning the TT off will not work with the on/off switch. I have also tried holding the on/off switch for approx 30 seconds, as mentioned in some other threads, to see if this will clear the problem. So far with no result.
Anyway I will try and download the back up without Home and see how it goes. Will let you know when I have done it.
Many thanks for your help so far
RichardM
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardM wrote:
I have also tried holding the on/off switch for approx 30 seconds, as mentioned in some other threads, to see if this will clear the problem.
If you try that with the SD Card out, you get a screen of useful info about the Hardware. That working would tell you if the basic GO is OK.

RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried holding the on/off switch with the SD card out as suggested, but no joy, just the same screen as above and it can only be turned off with the reset. Is there any other way to test the actual Go?
RichardM
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will need to contact the Sat Nav Shop.

There is an initial contact Page at http://www.satnav-shop.com/index.php?ln=en&pg=7

If you include your Nickname from here they can read what we have attempted, and will be able to advise further.

There seems to be something wrong hardware wise, but that is beyond my knowledge. Sad

RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I will contact them and see what they say.
Many thanks
RichardM

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: