Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Traffic Plus vs RDS Method confusion
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Traffic Plus vs RDS Method confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RolyMoly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: TomTom Traffic Plus vs RDS Method confusion Reply with quote

Help
I am a new to the Sat Nav world and more specifically TomTom One XL.
One of the reasons for getting the unit was the ability to receive and act on traffic info in near realtime.

I dutifully subscribed to the TomTom Traffic Plus service with speed cameras, and then find this forum. I subscribe to the speed camera forum here and then see lots of posts on TMC and TomTom Traffic and numerous posts on the reliability of each.

So my questions are: "Are either methods reliable?" "Which one has greater coverage?" (ie more than major motorways and A roads), which one is more accurate? How are they getting their information?

Because I have to say when I have used the TomTom unit and it has routed around 3 major holdups on the motorways those incidents have been real. This has been backed up with people in the jam and also by me calling into the RAC Traffic service provided to O2 and imagine other UK mobile providers. In fact the RAC traffic service on 2 occasions failed to advise of the impending jam which TomTom had been reporting for 30mins until I was on top of the jam (i had used the option to type in the road i was on rather than it auto located). What method does the RAC use to sense jams and what is their coverage like?

Any insights would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
R
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPRS reception coverage in the UK is considerably better than the RDS-TMC, you receive the same data on both services, however the GPRS will give you full UK TMC information whereas the RDS version will give you regional information, it should re-tune as you journey takes you up or down the country. The regional coverage is in fairly large bands of area coverage but don't expect to see London based information when in Glasgow, as you get nearer London you will pick up more localised information. As you have GPRS based information I would stick with that as the RDS-TMC is simply too problematic in the UK -Mike
RolyMoly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike
So in terms of source of traffic info it is no different on either TMC or GPRS they are both delivering the same traffic information but just using different delivery methods to the unit?
Thanks
R
londongaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RolyMoly wrote:
Thanks Mike
So in terms of source of traffic info it is no different on either TMC or GPRS they are both delivering the same traffic information but just using different delivery methods to the unit?
Thanks
R

Yes it should be the same information although GPRS is much better and accructe then TMC.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RolyMoly wrote:
Thanks Mike
Thanks
R

Yes, both methods source the actual data from the same supplier. As has been said, GPRS coverage is much better but carries a cost for use whereas RDS TMC is free once you have purchased the receiver accessory but actual coverage is much less reliable due to the vagaries of radio reception.
fitton2002
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another newbie here - (1st post).

Whats the mobile costs of using GPRS does it connect all the journey
of just on and off.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fitton2002 wrote:
Another newbie here - (1st post).

Whats the mobile costs of using GPRS does it connect all the journey
of just on and off.

The connection itself costs nothing, the charges only start adding up when you upload/download data.

The cost would depend on the amount and the actual charges your phone service provider make per Mb of data.

A good guide to the amount of data consumed dependent on how often you configure Traffic to update can be found here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: