Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin eTrex Venture & PDA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin eTrex Venture & PDA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tadams61
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Garmin eTrex Venture & PDA Reply with quote

I have a Garmin eTrex Venture GPS unit. I use it with my laptop and Street Atlas 2003 when traveling. I have a USB to serial convertor because my laptop doesn't have a serial port. I also use it with my Kenwood TH-D7a transceiver for APRS, usually on my bicycle but sometimes in the car.

Now, I'd like to add a PDA so that instead (or maybe in addition to) of running APRS from my bicycle I could see the route on the PDA and listen to instructions on when to make the next turn, etc.

What I need is information on which PDA to purchase and what software package would best suit my needs. This will be my first PDA, my wife has a Palm Zire and it was strongly suggested by her PDA instructor that I purchase the Palm Tungsten E. However, in looking at that unit there doesn't appear to be any method of attaching my GPS unit to that PDA. I was wondering about the Sony TJ35 unit. I would also like voice navigation but the Street Atlas 2004 handheld version only supports Pocket PC voice navigation. That means I may have to go with a Pocket PC PDA rather than Palm which may cause a problem in sharing data with my wife's PDA (Palm Zire).

Suggestions, Recommendations?
Thanks, Tom Adams

P.S. I'm up to constructing special cables, adapters, etc. if necessary and I have a schematic.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street Atlas 2004 for the HandHeld is not yet a serious software. It has some nice aspects (attempts at vector topo) but the street navigation capabilities are ridiculous.

If you want to stick with the Palm platform have a look at Mapopolis (www.mapopolis.com). They currently offer one of the best street navigation programs for the Palm and support various Tungstens and Clie's

If you decided for a PocketPC version then -hey - welcome to the big world! Dozens of decent navigation programs out there, with all kinds of voice support and automatic rerouting, and with cable connectors for all receiver-PDA combinations. Most of the newer combinations are using BlueTooth so you don't need any cables anyhow.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin eTrex Venture & PDA Reply with quote

tadams61 wrote:
I also use it with my Kenwood TH-D7a transceiver for APRS, usually on my bicycle but sometimes in the car.

If I had some more strength and the money to buy the SDK, I'd love to create an APRS plug-in for TomTom Navigator.

For those familiar with the 'location' functions in CoPilot 4, that's basically what APRS is - it's a way of using a radio channel to broadcast your GPS location to anyone who is monitoring that channel.

Unfortunately I don't have a very small packet radio setup - and tend not to operate packet at all these days. My handheld is the very good but getting somewhat old TH-79E, which, of course, has no built in TNC. In fact, I've hardly been on the air for a while - my antennas at home are very poor. One day soon I must fire up my station again.

73 de G0WZA

(for the non-radio amateurs in the group, they're Morse prosigns - 73 is best wishes, de is from, and the rest is my callsign; I do hold a UK 12 words per minute Morse certificate as, until recently, you had to in order to get a full licence to operate on amateur frequencies below 30MHz)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: