Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bluetooth for both Pocet PC and XP laptop
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluetooth for both Pocet PC and XP laptop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wingless1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Bluetooth for both Pocet PC and XP laptop Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm in the market for a Bluetooth GPS and I have noticed that on many of the manufacturer web sites that they list separate solutions for Pocket PC and the Windows XP OS (ALK for instance). I would like to buy ONE Bluetooth GPS solution that works with BOTH my IPAQ and Laptop. Most of the reviews on this site show compatibility for both. I’m assuming that hardware is not an issue, but is it bundled software that makes it a different story? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. My apologies in advance if this question has been asked before…great site!!! Thumbs Up

Thanks,
Danny
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as whatever Bluetooth setup you have on the laptop supports the Serial Port Profile (and I'd think they all do - though you can never be sure of these things), you can use the GPS hardware with your laptop.

Software is, of course, another matter - you can't run Pocket PC software on Windows XP.

David
wingless1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info David
fray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Multiple connections? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if any of the BT GPSs which would allow multiple simultaneous connections?

We do a lot of drive testing, usually with two or more people in the vehicle. It would be nice to have one GPS unit broadcast location information to anyone with a bluetooth module.

However, using the Serial Port connection method, maybe that's why it's 1-to-1, instead of a UDP-type connectionless broadcast method...

Any ideas/suggestions?

Fray
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's currently not possible. You can use a Holux GR-230 and have one device connected via cable and one via BT, but that's about as close as you'll get.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: