Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TT One V2 'Managers Special'
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TT One V2 'Managers Special'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TT_Chris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: New TT One V2 'Managers Special' Reply with quote

Thanks for the patiance, but if you could read i'd be grateful as background may be important...

Popped to local Halfords this arvo to pick up some polishing cloth and as i was paying the chap had 2x TomTom One V2s on the checkout.. He said they were 'factory refurbed' and they had them because they'd given a refund to customer due to them taking so long to come back.

I asked how much and he said £99.99. He had both boxes open and parts of them on checkout and i noticed that one had the Window Mount and USB bits etc, but the other had no Mount!

After a bit of bartering he agreed to 'create' a full pack with all pieces by using accessories etc from both boxes. Bargain, i thought and purchased on impulse.

I've got Product Key Card etc, but now i'm worried that as he was swapping bits back and forth between boxes is there a chance that the Prod Key Card i got does not match the Maps on the SIM or something?

Is there a way to validate they match or something or does it just matter that you have a valid code as there was so much swapping between boxes i'm a bit worried! Confused

Cheers guys.
C
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a valid product code credit card i think you would be ok as they are batched numbers and not i think allocated per unit per map installed on that unit, however if you want to be certain, either contact tomtom and ask them and i think there is an area within the tomtom site if you register and log in that you can view this info, have a look at the faq's on the site m8. i'm sure someone will be on and give you some more advice in the near future
TT_Chris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool i hope you're right!

Have registered on tomtom.com but closest i can find is a FAQ for "why cant i activate my new map" and the reply is to download an EXE for Clear Flash Tool or something...

You've put my mind at rest a bit, hopefully a flood of others confirming will stop me worrying! Laughing
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT_Chris wrote:
Cool i hope you're right!

Have registered on tomtom.com but closest i can find is a FAQ for "why cant i activate my new map" and the reply is to download an EXE for Clear Flash Tool or something...

You've put my mind at rest a bit, hopefully a flood of others confirming will stop me worrying! Laughing
found it for you

log onto tomtom website
go to my tomtom on the very top menu next to your log in name
goto my plus services on the right hand side and select my maps
on the right hand side headed my tomtom there is a menu
go down to below trials and choose my products, above log out
there you have it, your tomtom and product code

click on the tomtom one under your product and it will show the activation code as well

this will tell you only IF it has been registered by you using this or tomtom home

on tomtom home you can doble click the map details in explore my one to get its details according to tomtom

edited to show how to get the activation info

Last edited by gardenshed on Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the end of the day if its registered and there is an issue you will be able to claim innocence about any confusion regarding a mix up with cards, but i doubt it will cause an issue for you, e-mail tomtom and get a finite reply on the issue from them
TT_Chris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, well buried isnt it!! Searched for ages and never found that!

Went through it and it had saved the 'Device ID' which matches my unit, but didnt have a Prod Key saved.. I added it and it accepted ok, without hassle, although it had no issue with me adding the same code more than once!

It did grumble if i entered a non valid code though so think all is good..

Thanks for the steer..

C
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to help mate, i found that quite by chance one day and made a mental note, just in case Wink Laughing
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets think about this, the activation code is made up from the device code, and the product code. The maps are made to only work in one device, the one it is sold with. So if you put the correct SD card in, it will work, if you put the wrong SD card in, or one bought off ebay for instance, it will not work. Yours works, so the SD card must be the correct card for the device. The activation code usually isn't needed to activate the maps, but if it ever asks, you need to put the correct code in to make the maps work, the wrong code, and it won't work. The device must know what the activation code is to accept it. So if you give the correct device code, but the wrong product code, will it generate the wrong activation code. So, you will only have a problem if the TomTom asks for an activation code, that is wrong, then it won't work. Thats how I see it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tricky one, but I think chris still has a valid issue.

At the moment, because he is using an original, pre-activated SD card, his maps work (as they would do in ANY machine, not just his).

The TT website has let him register a code, because it is a valid code, but as he says, there is nothing so far to conclusively link that code to the map he actually has.
I think the only way to find out for sure, Chris, is if you were to buy a new (larger?) SD card and copy everything onto that one from the original.

As that is a copy card, the unit will then ask for the activation code (the one generated when you combine the device code and the product code at www.ttcode.com) and you can check that it works. Even if it is wrong, you will still be able to go back to the original card.
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

I think the only way to find out for sure, Chris, is if you were to buy a new (larger?) SD card and copy everything onto that one from the original.

As that is a copy card, the unit will then ask for the activation code

not true on my unit, i have changed the card twice from the original to 1meg to a 2meg, i was not asked for a activation code as it had already been activated on the tt and the info was transfered in the copy.

i doubt that every tt manufactured has a unique map and code linked from the moment they are produced, rather there is a batch of numbers between x and y that will function with a certain edition, when you enter your product code and unit id tomtom home generates a random number within that range to activate that map, if it were possible to uniquely id each map with a specific number and only that number then tt and other would have already done it, the fact that tt no longer let you activate in this manner, i am assured by others on this site, is perhaps a step towards this end, but not at the moment imho

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: