Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help Fortuna Bluetooth,Tomtom2 & Ipaq 5555
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Fortuna Bluetooth,Tomtom2 & Ipaq 5555

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stozza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Help Fortuna Bluetooth,Tomtom2 & Ipaq 5555 Reply with quote

Can anyone help me with this setup I cannot seem to get it working
for more than a couple of minutes before the signal becomes unreliable. I have downloaded & installed TT2 ver. 2.24 & GPS ver. 2.09 from Tomtom. It just doesn't appear to hold onto its signal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your speed settings? NMEA 38400 should normally work reliably

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
stozza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I am obviously new to this on the GPS settings I have been told to set to TomTom Wireless GPS and Com Port 8 this does not give you anywhere to set to 38400. I originally thought this maybe wrong so I set it to NMEA 0183v2 and com 8 however had the same problem. Is there anywhere that you set the com port 8 speed settings?

Thanks
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of TomTom Wireless set it to NMEA 38400. Since you have GPS driver version 2.09 it may be COM5: rather than COM8: - try both in the lower dropdown.

If that doesn't help then you have to search elsewhere. Try using another GPS program (like WinFast) and see if you have the same problem. Maybe something's wrong with the BT stack

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
stozza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

However I have already tried the NMEA 38400 setting and I did get a connection but only for about 500 yards I then stopped and it immediately lost the connection.

With regard to trying another program and the BT stack I am at my limit of knowledge here.

I am waiting for someone from PDAMODS where I ordered the receiver and software from, to come back to me however I can never get anyone on the phone and getting a mail a day is frustrating to say the least!

Thumbs Up Thanks for your help
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's at least try it ... Please check our download version - there you will find a number of utilities. I also think that you can use the Crux_view program with your receiver but I am not sure. Maybe GPSDash for the beginning? http://gpsdash.com/gpsdash.php

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
stozza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry haven't replied sooner been tied up.

Before we try that could we just go back a step, I just want to check I am doing everything correctly

I start my PDA then I go to bluetooth manager and connect the BT clip on that I have already paired I then exit bluetooth manager and start tomtom navigator, I then go to GPS and look at the status this eventually shows the correct time and after a time some grey bars being filled but only 50-75% after between an hour to 2 hours it jumps into life and shows current position is this correct?

Yesterday after I got a position I drove approx 1/2 a mile and then had to stop under a flyover for no more than a minute when i carried on signal was lost and did not come back even when I stopped on a clifftop for a further 30 minutes this was mail I recieved from place I purchased regarding this :-

"If you loose the signal for a long period then it cannot reacquire the signal again unless you are stationery !! This is normal for all GPS receivers. I suggest you test it a bit more before sending it back with the settings below. Also, make sure it is in ST mode."

This somehow doesn't ring true to me???

Thanks
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the BTM when you connect to the Clip-On - are you connecting to the Serial Port?

The loss of base GPS data happens after extended periods of non-reception, for example when the receiver is switched off for more than a week. Standing under the bridge for a minute doesn't qualify. The Receiver should re-acquire the position momentarily.

If it takes 20 and more minutes every time then your receiver may not properly keep the base data - this may simply be the backup battery failing. Do you have a chance to try a different receiver?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
stozza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't have access to another reciever, if you think this is the problem I will send it back for replacement.

Again I'm sorry about double posting I just thought as they were different forums different people would be looking at and as I said there seemed to be something from "consultant" but I could only find bits of the replies there appeared to be some replies missing.

Sorry
stozza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just wanted to check one more thing before I send this receiver back I had it connecting for and hour and a half this lunchtime got a signal left it a couple of minutes and then switched off and back on again although it picked up four or four satellites in the GPS status non locked. My question is once I get a lock should I be leaving it for a certain amount of time before either driving anywhere or it stores my position for future use?
I have been reading posts where there are saying once the initial lock has been achieved then when you come to use again it takes a matter of seconds to get a lock back?

Thanks Paul
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. For example when you step out of a plane the receiver will need a longer time to understand it's someplace else on earth. But if you just left it switched off over night it will immediately get a fix back because it's assumption that it hasn't moved was right this time (as opposed to the plane story). But when there's no base data to start off from then it becomes like groundhog day...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
stozza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Lutz,

I get the plane analogy that it will take longer to get a position however are you saying that once I get that initial lock everything should be ready to go straight away or should I leave it running before driving away?
And if so for how long?

Please excuse my slowness picking this up I'm usually pretty switched on!

Thanks Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: