Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Installing the camera submission software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing the camera submission software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Installing the camera submission software Reply with quote

Hi
I have tried unsuccessfully to install the software for speed camera submissions. Is the root directory the first page to open! Its not the Map directory is it? I unzipped the downloads for my TTOne classic and dragged and dropped the three items into the directory which first opens. I then have two folders named POI Capture SDK Registry and TomTom MNU. The image of the camera capture POI with the yellow cross is showing in the main menu when I switch on my TTOne, but clicking on it brings up a dark grey screen with broken lines and it freezes up. The only way to get out of it is to shut the thing down and then I have to press the reset button before I can start it up again. What am I doing wrong!
Help please
dunc
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find POi capture does not work any more on the new TomTom's, as TomTom have changed the SDK thing, the only way to do it is to save your position as a favorite, then sort it out when you get home.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly make sure the version of POICapture you have downloaded is the correct one for the software your device is running. Tap the sat strength meter on the nav screen and it will display the version number, let us know what that is 6,52 or 5,21 etc.

The program needs a GPS position fix in order to work, so once you get the correct version installed take it outside before trying it out.

The TomTom.mnu file should be placed in the SdkRegistry folder, this allows the device to use the custom menu moving the POICapture icon to Page One of the main menu . You can open the menu file using Note Pad or Word Pad and move the lines of text around to further customise the menu if you so wish, the line containing SDK1| is the line for the POICapture programe - Mike
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for the quick responce, the verion on my TTOne Classic is 6.560
The way I have tried to install is by my card reader and I opened the TT file which I presume is the root directory?yes! The one with folders named epham, itn, contacts ect in it and then drag and drop the two folders POI Capture and SDK Registry with the Tom Tom MNU already dragged into the SDK Registry folder and all should then work, YES? Will have another go as I have a spare SD card and if it works will just copy the SD card and install it on my other card!
Regards
dunk
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POICapture doesn't work with V6.560 unfortunately. Sad

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right Old Boy Rolling Eyes. I have just had all sorts of weird things appearing on my TTOne screen after instaling the download files. So I have just reformatted the sd card and will re install my data without the POI Capture
Never Mind! I will just have to pay my subscriptions each year and well worth it they are too! Laughing
Regards
dunk
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only needed to remove the 2 Folders and the Unit would have been as it was before. Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Old Boy,
Just thought I would be safe than sorry!
dunc Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't HAVE to use POI Capture to report cameras. The camera submission page does a perfectly good job - takes a bit of getting used to perhaps, but once you've got it, it's pretty straightforward.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dennis
I did use the submission page to report a camera that has been moved on the A259 at Seabrook but I havn't had an email so either I didn't get to it first or it never went through. That's when I decided maybe I should download the POI Capture software. Not to worry,. Maybe will be luck one day and get to an unrecorded camera before they stop installing new ones! Laughing
Regards to all
dunk
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunk wrote:
Cheers Dennis
I did use the submission page to report a camera that has been moved on the A259 at Seabrook but I haven't had an email so either I didn't get to it first or it never went through.
You MUST get an e-mail if you send in a submission using the submissions page - it's an auto-generated response which merely says "Your following submission has been received (details of what you submitted), thank you". It's longer than that, because they overflow with gratitude, but you get what I mean. I've known some people who actually keep those acknowledgement e-mails for their records and they can tell you when they submitted and the very words they sent off - they're either sad or younger than 60!

If you mean you haven't had an email saying you're a lucky winner of lifetime subscription, you didn't get there first (if it's now in the database) or it still hasn't been verified. It seems to me, to be first you have to find a brand new camera in the middle of where nobody else ever goes, then stop at the first internet cafe half a mile along the road and report it in. Or do the same sort of timing anywhere else. Somebody has to be first, just try to make sure it's you. Laughing

dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, I'm resigned to paying my subscriptions each year and will leave the FINDS to others. Plus you don't have to be younger than 60 to have a life, just that we old uns seem to enjoy it more Very Happy
Keep smiling and you will get there one day!
dunk
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunk wrote:
Keep smiling and you will get there one day!

I'm already past it! Sad

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunk, when you see a camera, if it is safe to do so, just mark the position with a favourite (Add Favourite / GPS Position) That is all the basic info you need to make a submission (although knowing the speed limit and the direction too is wanted if at all possible)

To submit it, you can find it on the map and read the Lat/Long co-ordinates off the map screen then put them in the form manually,
or you can turn the position (or lots of them) into a POI and submit the whole POI file.
dunk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Info Andy
I will try that out if I ever see another camera which doesn't show up on the TT One, I realy thought I had my free subscription with this last one!Shocked
dunk

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: