Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iGO My Way 2006 Plus
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iGO My Way 2006 Plus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: iGO My Way 2006 Plus Reply with quote

It seems that Miomap 3.2 and 3.3 for that matter is being left behind in terms of the feature stakes.

I tried My Way 2006 Plus (PDA) with TMC on the weekend and despite looking almost identical to Miomap there are a number of genuinely useful features not present in Miomap. The "pin" feature (which allows you to place a reference pin at your current location) is useful as is the "tunnel mode" - I only had the chance to try it once but it worked well (it guestimates your position when the signal is temporarily occluded).

The TMC licence provides for iTIS reception - I couldn't work out whether or not the direction reporting problem impacted the iGO software because I didn't see enough TMC reports and the ones I did were for locations I'm not familiar with.

The predictive text entry virtual keyboard is also good - it blanks out keys that can't appear in a geographic specific text entry.

The on road direction arrows are much bigger than in Miomap (they increase in size as you approach the junction) and this works very well in terms of clarifying where, at a complicated junction or roundabout, you should go.

All in all the iGO software is better than Miomap in terms of features but otherwise very similar. When in car navigation mode (as opposed to pedestrian mode) the software will place you on the nearest road but provide a little dot (yellow at night) to mark your actual off road position! It works very well.

Does anyone have info on Mio's update policy for Miomap? It's ages since there's been a substantive update and the recent updates appear to have been in error - a reversion to the January 2007 version and then a correction back to the March version!

Still, I suppose all this seems to be academic now that 3d mapping software and hardware is about to become available. With the oddly short shelf life that Mitac's PNAs enjoy (compared to the TomTom or the Navman shelf life) I guess that there won't be software update support for the C*10 series for much longer.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: