Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Viamichelin X-960 or other ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Viamichelin X-960 or other ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B_G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Viamichelin X-960 or other ? Reply with quote

Hi all. I am considering getting a satnav system in the £150 price range. What I am after is;
Possibility to plan a route with several stopovers (waypoints ?)
Possibility to import "3rd party" POI files like the ones available on this site or possibility to create and use my own POI files.

Being a complete novice, although the ViaMichelin X-960 fits my budget, I can't seem to find for sure whether it will allow me to make use of "3rd party" POI files. Any thoughts on that or can you recommend an alternative ?

Tia
B_G
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

Page 124 of the manual CLICK HERE states you can import 3rd party POIs in ASC format.

As for the ability to plan a route Page 27 states you can "add a Stage" but doesn't appear to details any limits to the number of stages you might have.
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have ViaMichelin on a PDA, and I wasn't over impressed with it, so I now have a TomTom ONE. The new ONE, V3, hasn't got Itinery planing, but V2 has, so you can plan a route, but I don't think it suports way points.

This is the ViaMichelin forum on here, you may want to browse there.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=65

Another sat nav to look at is Garmin, they suport way points, look here,

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=9160

Or the TomTom ONE, here,

http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=0&Language=1
B_G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both for the infos.

Tanda, was there anything in particular you disliked about ViaMichelin like poor routing instructions, difficult to use or other ?

If I was to go for a TomTom V2, wouldn't that mean that the maps supplied with it are outdated compared to the V3 (which I think woudn't suit me due to the apparent impossibility to load "3rd party" POI files) and that I would need to fork out an extra £41.95 for the latest map of UK & Ireland (v6.75 ?).

The Garmin Nuvi 200 also seem to fit the bill and the battery life seems reasonable (certainly a bonus if I can make use of it on the push bike !), I think I need to do a bit more research before taking the plunge !
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi B_G, I had it on a PDA, not the x-960, so I found the PDA in the cradle was all a bit bulkie, and it refused to stick onto the windscreen for more than a few minites at a time, I ended up, resting it on the top of the dash, with some "blue tak" round it to stop it moving, then after a few months the POi manager refused to transfer POi's to the PDA, I had to do it manually. Then with the camera database, it gave you a "Beep" warning, you couldn't change it, or set the warning distance, it was all set. So I went for a TomTom ONE in the end.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: